Garwood Load Packer
The Garwood Load Packer was a refuse collection vehicle built by Garwood Industries. This innovative design was responsible for significant changes in the mode and automation of garbage collection in the United States. Engineered by Melvin Donald Silvey, (b. 1880 - d. 1950) these trucks were manufactured in Detroit, Michigan.
It was a significant development in waste collection, as it was one of the first vehicles to utilize a compactor, increasing the truck's hauling capacity. It was introduced in 1938, but significant numbers weren't manufactured until after World War II. By 1949, over 2500 of these trucks were in use across the US and Canada. Almost all waste collection vehicles used today utilize some type of compaction mechanism, because of the reduced costs of hauling larger payloads.