|First Deputy of the Council of Ministers of the Soviet Union|
31 March 1958 – 4 May 1960
|Preceded by||Joseph Kuzmin|
|Succeeded by||Alexei Kosygin|
|Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Russian SFSR|
19 December 1957 – 31 March 1958
|Preceded by||Mikhail Yasnov|
|Succeeded by||Dmitry Polyansky|
|Full member of the 20th–21st, 22nd Politburo|
29 June 1957 – 16 November 1964
|Member of the 20th–21st, 22nd Secretariat|
4 May 1960 – 16 November 1964
Frol Romanovich Kozlov|
18 August 1908
Loshchinino, Kasimovsky District Ryazan Province, Imperial Russia
30 January 1965 56) (aged|
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||Communist Party of the Soviet Union|
Kozlov was born in the village of Loshchinino (Russian: Лощинино), Ryazan Province. Between 1953 and 1957, Kozlov was the first secretary of the Leningrad Oblast CPSU Committee. He was elected a candidate member of the Presidium (as the Politburo of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was then called) on 14 February 1957 and served as a full member from 29 June 1957 until he was relieved of his duties on 16 November 1964, following the ousting of his mentor, Nikita Khrushchev, a month earlier.
For many years, he was considered Khrushchev's likely successor but even before his mentor's removal from office, Kozlov's position had been undermined by the effects of his alcoholism; in the spring of 1963 he was replaced by Leonid Brezhnev as Secretary of the Communist Party Central Committee. At the time of his removal, Kozlov had already suffered a stroke, and he died shortly after his removal from office.
He was buried in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis.
Decorations and awards
- Hero of Socialist Labour
- Four Orders of Lenin
- Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour, twice
- Order of the Red Star
- Справочник по истории Коммунистической партии и Советского Союза 1898 - 1991 (in Russian). knowbysight.info. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "May - June 1959: Visit to the Soviet Union of W. Averell Harriman". U.S. Department of State. 26 June 1959. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Time Magazine, Krushchev's Successor? 13 July 1959
- Lisa A. Baglione (31 December 1998). To Agree or Not to Agree: Leadership, Bargaining, and Arms Control. University of Michigan Press. p. 45. ISBN 0-472-10930-8. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Biography of Frol Kozlov (Russian)