|Part of British Gold Coast|
|Coordinates||5°00′00″N 2°38′42″W / 5.00°N 2.645°W|
Fort Apollonia is a fort in Beyin, Ghana. The name Apollonia was given to the area by a Portuguese explorer who sighted the place on the Feast of Saint Apollonia, 9 February. In 1691, a British trading post was erected at this site, which between 1768 and 1770 was extended into a fort. After the abolition of slave trade, the fort was abandoned in 1819, but it was again occupied from 1836 onwards.
The fort was transferred to the Dutch as part of a large trade of forts between Britain and the Netherlands in 1868, on which occasion it was renamed Fort Willem III, after King William III of the Netherlands. Four years later, however, on 6 April 1872, the fort was, along with the entire Dutch Gold Coast, again transferred to the United Kingdom, as per the Gold Coast treaty of 1871.
The fort was restored between 1962 and 1968.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fort Apollonia (Ghana).|
- "Fort Apollonia, Beyin", Forts & Castles, Ghana Place Names.