Foreign relations of Montenegro
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
In a referendum on 21 May 2006, the people of Montenegro opted to leave the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. This was confirmed with a declaration of independence by the Montenegrin parliament on 3 June 2006. It simultaneously requested international recognition and outlined foreign policy goals.
As enumerated in the parliamentary declaration of 3 June 2006, Montenegro's near-term primary foreign policy objectives are integration into the European Union, membership in the United Nations, to which it was admitted on 28 June 2006 and in NATO.
The European Council of Ministers recognized Montenegrin independence on 12 June 2006, as did the United States. Russia gave official recognition on 11 June. The United Kingdom extended recognition on 13 June. The last two permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, France and the People's Republic of China recognised the government of Montenegro on 14 June.
On 30 November 2006, the Government adopted the Memorandum of Agreement between Montenegro and the Republic of Serbia on Consular Protection and Services to the Citizens of Montenegro. By this agreement, Serbia, through its network of diplomatic and consular missions, provides consular services to the Montenegrin citizens on the territory of states in which Montenegro has no missions of its own. In October 2008, Montenegro recognized Kosovo.
Membership in international organizations
- On June 28, 2006, Montenegro was added to the American Radio Relay League's DXCC List as the 336th entry based on membership in the UN.
- Montenegro acceded to the Geneva Conventions on August 2, 2006.
- 382 is Montenegro's telephone country code
- .me is an Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) that was assigned to Montenegro, following the decision on 26 September 2006 by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency to allocate ME as the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for Montenegro.
States that have explicitly recognized Montenegro and/ or establishment of diplomatic relations
|#||Country||Recognition of Montenegro||Establishment of Diplomatic Relations||Status of Diplomatic Mission in Montenegro 4||Status of
in the country
|1||Iceland||8 June 2006||26 September 2006|
|2||Switzerland||9 June 2006||5 July 2006||Embassy|
|3||Guinea-Bissau||9 June 2006||29 June 2006|
|4||Russia||10 June 2006||26 June 2006||Embassy 3||Embassy||See Montenegro–Russia relations|
|5||Bulgaria1||12 June 2006||2 August 2006||Embassy3, 11 December 2006||See Bulgaria–Montenegro relations|
|6||Croatia1||12 June 2006||7 July 2006||Embassy, 12 January 2007|
|Embassy, 10 May 2007|
|7||Macedonia||12 June 2006||14 June 2006||Embassy, 31 July 2006 3||Embassy||See Macedonia – Montenegro relations|
|—2||European Union||12 June 2006||2006||Delegation, 1 November 2007||Mission, 2006||Accession of Montenegro to the European Union|
|8||Estonia1||12 June 2006||13 June 2006|
|9||Latvia1||12 June 2006||19 June 2006|
|10||Austria1||12 June 2006||12 July 2006||Embassy, 12 July 2006|
Consulate (Budva) 3
|11||Turkey||12 June 2006||3 July 2006||Embassy||Embassy|
|12||Malta1||12 June 2006||19 July 2006|
|13||Hungary1||12 June 2006||14 June 2006||Embassy, 12 July 2006|
Honorary Consulate (Herceg Novi)3
|14||Czech Republic1||12 June 2006||15 June 2006||Consular Agency|
|15||United States||12 June 2006||7 August 2006||Embassy|
5 October 20063
|Embassy5||See Montenegro–United States relations|
|16||United Kingdom1||13 June 2006||13 June 2006||Embassy3||Embassy||See Montenegro–United Kingdom relations|
|17||Canada||13 June 2006||5 September 2006|
|18||Romania1||13 June 2006||9 August 2006||Embassy3|
|19||Slovakia1||13 June 2006||25 July 2006|
|20||Greece1||13 June 2006||18 December 2006||Embassy3||Embassy||See Greece–Montenegro relations|
|21||Luxembourg1||13 June 2006||21 September 2006|
|22||France1||13 June 2006||13 June 2006||Embassy3||Embassy|
|23||Israel||13 June 2006||12 July 2006|
|24||Singapore||14 June 2006||30 June 2006|
|25||Sweden1||14 June 2006||26 June 2006|
|26||People's Republic of China||14 June 2006||6 July 2006||Embassy, 7 July 2006||Embassy|
|27||Italy1||14 June 2006||14 June 2006||Embassy 3||Embassy|
|28||Armenia||14 June 2006||7 November 2006|
|29||Germany1||14 June 2006||14 June 2006||Embassy, 22 June 20063||Embassy5||See Germany–Montenegro relations|
|30||Brazil||14 June 2006||20 October 2006|
|31||Denmark1||15 June 2006||15 June 2006||Consulate (Podgorica)3||See Denmark–Montenegro relations|
|32||Serbia||15 June 2006||22 June 2006||Embassy||Embassy||See Montenegro–Serbia relations|
|33||Japan||16 June 2006||24 July 2006|
|34||Norway||16 June 2006||21 June 2006|
|35||Spain1||16 June 2006||12 December 2006|
|36||Cyprus1||16 June 2006||12 March 2007|
|37||Netherlands1||16 June 2006||8 September 2006|
|38||Andorra||16 June 2006||28 July 2006|
|39||Bahrain||18 June 2006||25 September 2009|
|40||Mexico||19 June 2006||5 June 2007|
|41||Portugal1||19 June 2006||17 May 2007|
|42||Ukraine||19 June 2006||22 August 2006||See Montenegro–Ukraine relations|
|43||Democratic Republic of the Congo||19 June 2006||22 September 2010|
|—||Holy See/Vatican City||19 June 2006||16 December 2006||Embassy|
|44||Algeria||20 June 2006||24 September 2007|
|45||Slovenia1||20 June 2006||21 June 2006||Embassy, 23 June 2006||Embassy5||See Montenegro–Slovenia relations|
|46||Ireland1||20 June 2006||20 June 2006|
|47||Tajikistan||20 June 2006||23 August 2006|
|48||Poland1||20 June 2006||14 August 2006||Embassy, 10 December 2008||Embassy|
|49||Bosnia and Herzegovina||21 June 2006||14 September 2006||Embassy||Embassy|
|50||South Korea||21 June 2006||4 September 2006|
|51||Liechtenstein||21 June 2006||26 March 2007|
|52||Moldova||21 June 2006||9 March 2007|
|53||Belarus||21 June 2006||8 August 2006|
|54||North Korea||21 June 2006||16 July 2007|
|55||Lithuania1||22 June 2006||18 July 2006|
|56||Libya||22 June 2006||9 February 2011||See Libya-Montenegro relations|
|57||Belgium1||23 June 2006||25 July 2006||Embassy 5|
|58||Argentina||23 June 2006||13 September 2006|
|59||San Marino||26 June 2006||29 March 2007|
|60||Australia||27 June 2006||1 September 2006|
|61||Chile||27 June 2006||24 July 2006|
|62||Vietnam||28 June 2006||4 August 2006|
|63||Samoa||28 June 2006||28 January 2011|
|64||Finland1||29 June 2006||12 July 2006|
|65||Cambodia||29 June 2006||12 October 2009|
|66||Morocco||30 June 2006||8 September 2009|
|67||Pakistan||30 June 2006||23 October 2006|
|—6||Sovereign Military Order of Malta||30 June 2006||5 September 2006||Embassy|
|68||Peru||3 July 2006||12 September 2006|
|69||Cuba||5 July 2006||20 October 2006|
|70||South Africa||6 July 2006||11 October 2006|
|71||Iran||7 July 2006||28 July 2006|
|72||Albania||12 July 2006||1 August 2006||Embassy||Embassy|
|73||Seychelles||13 July 2006||19 May 2010|
|74||New Zealand||17 July 2006||17 July 2006|
|75||Tunisia||20 July 2006||7 March 2007|
|76||Sudan||20 July 2006||31 October 2006|
|77||Indonesia||24 July 2006||21 September 2011|
|78||Azerbaijan||24 July 2006||24 April 2008|
|—7||State of Palestine||24 July 2006||1 August 2006|
|79||Kazakhstan||25 July 2006||16 January 2007|
|80||Malaysia||25 July 2006||17 August 2006|
|81||Turkmenistan||July 2006|| 26 November 2008|
or December 2008
|82||India||2 August 2006||2 August 2006|
|83||Laos||10 August 2006||4 February 2010|
|84||Afghanistan||10 August 2006||21 September 2010|
|85||Thailand||16 August 2006||6 June 2007|
|86||Brunei||19 August 2006||19 January 2010|
|87||Iraq||23 August 2006||29 December 2010|
|88||Panama||25 August 2006||9 May 2008|
|89||Syria||August 2006||30 October 2008|
|90||Suriname||1 September 2006||14 May 2010|
|91||Qatar||26 September 2006||16 November 2006|
|92||Guatemala||27 September 2006||27 September 2006|
|93||Egypt||27 September 2006||27 September 2006|
|94||Guinea||4 October 2006||17 November 2006|
|95||Oman||6 October 2006||11 April 2007|
|96||Myanmar||10 October 2006||27 November 2006|
|97||Mongolia||30 November 2006||30 November 2006|
|98||Uzbekistan||19 December 2006||19 December 2006|
|99||Bangladesh||2 March 2007||2 March 2007|
|100||Costa Rica||24 May 2007||24 May 2007|
|101||Paraguay||5 June 2007||5 June 2007|
|102||Namibia||6 September 2007||16 November 2009|
|103||Monaco||17 October 2007||17 October 2007|
|104||Georgia||29 October 2007||29 October 2007|
|105||Eritrea||18 March 2008||18 March 2008|
|106||United Arab Emirates||4 April 2008||4 April 2008||Embassy||Embassy|
|107||Uruguay||1 December 2008||25 February 2009|
|108||Lebanon||4 December 2008||4 December 2008|
|109||Dominican Republic||10 March 2009||10 March 2009|
|110||Kyrgyzstan||24 June 2009||24 June 2009|
|111||Togo||10 September 2009||21 December 2012|
|112||Ecuador||26 September 2009||26 September 2009|
|113||Philippines||26 September 2009||26 September 2009|
|114||Nicaragua||26 September 2009||26 September 2009|
|115||Colombia||30 September 2009||12 August 2011|
|116||Maldives||11 October 2009||26 November 2009|
|117||Mozambique||17 November 2009||27 May 2010|
|118||Angola||21 December 2009||21 December 2009|
|119||Mauritania||21 December 2009||21 December 2009|
|—7||Kosovo||15 January 2010||15 January 2010||Embassy||See Kosovo–Montenegro relations|
|120||Jordan||19 May 2010||19 May 2010|
|121||Fiji||15 June 2010||15 June 2010|
|122||Zambia||29 June 2010||29 June 2010|
|123||Honduras||8 July 2010||8 July 2010|
|124||Botswana||16 July 2010||16 July 2010|
|125||Kuwait||27 July 2010||27 July 2010|
|126||Senegal||22 September 2010||22 September 2010|
|127||Saint Lucia||25 September 2010||25 September 2010|
|128||Timor-Leste||25 September 2010||25 September 2010|
|129||Bolivia||18 October 2010||18 October 2010|
|130||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||8 November 2010||8 November 2010|
|131||Jamaica||12 November 2010||12 November 2010|
|132||Zimbabwe||22 November 2010||22 November 2010|
|133||Cape Verde||17 December 2010||17 December 2010|
|134||Solomon Islands||23 December 2010||23 December 2010|
|135||Nauru||25 January 2011||25 January 2011|
|136||Republic of the Congo||1 February 2011||1 February 2011|
|137||Comoros||9 February 2011||9 February 2011|
|138||Dominica||25 February 2011||25 February 2011|
|139||Sri Lanka||4 April 2011||4 April 2011|
|140||Antigua and Barbuda||11 April 2011||11 April 2011|
|141||Trinidad and Tobago||15 April 2011||15 April 2011|
|142||Tuvalu||4 May 2011||4 May 2011|
|143||Ethiopia||10 June 2011||10 June 2011|
|144||Uganda||14 July 2011||14 July 2011|
|145||Nepal||18 July 2011||18 July 2011|
|146||Benin||15 September 2011||15 September 2011|
|147||Saudi Arabia||16 September 2011||16 September 2011|
|148||Malawi||16 September 2011||16 September 2011|
|149||Guyana||19 September 2011||19 September 2011|
|150||Kenya||6 October 2011||6 October 2011|
|151||Djibouti||6 October 2011||6 October 2011|
|152||South Sudan||21 November 2011||21 November 2011|
|153||Burkina Faso||20 December 2011||20 December 2011|
|154||Mali||10 April 2012||10 April 2012|
|155||Gambia||16 August 2012||16 August 2012|
|156||Burundi||17 August 2012||17 August 2012|
|157||Ghana||20 September 2012||20 September 2012|
|158||Mauritius||26 September 2012||26 September 2012|
|159||Haiti||17 October 2012||17 October 2012|
|160||Saint Kitts and Nevis||19 October 2012||19 October 2012|
|161||Gabon||12 November 2012||12 November 2012|
|162||Swaziland||28 February 2013||28 February 2013|
|163||Rwanda||12 April 2013||12 April 2013|
|164||Federated States of Micronesia||10 September 2013||10 September 2013|
|165||Lesotho||23 September 2013||23 September 2013|
|166||Palau||25 September 2013||25 September 2013|
|167||Vanuatu||26 September 2013||26 September 2013|
|168||El Salvador||27 September 2013||27 September 2013|
|169||Yemen||28 September 2013||28 September 2013|
|170||Kiribati||17 January 2014||17 January 2014|
|171||Grenada||17 March 2014||17 March 2014|
|172||Liberia||7 April 2014||7 April 2014|
|173||Venezuela||4 September 2014||4 September 2014|
|174||Niger||15 September 2014||15 September 2014|
|175||Sierra Leone||8 October 2014||8 October 2014|
|176||Ivory Coast||29 October 2014||29 October 2014|
|177||Chad||20 March 2015||20 March 2015|
|178||Central African Republic||2 April 2015||2 April 2015|
^Note 1 : EU member state.
^Note 2 : Despite the official recognition by European Union's foreign ministers, every member state had to recognise Montenegro individually, as well.
^Note 3 : Formerly Embassy Branch Office of a Belgrade resident embassy, Consulate-General, Consulate or honorary missions without diplomatic status established during the former Union State of Serbia and Montenegro). Current mission formally accredited to Montenegro. Pre-independence Consulate-General of Italy in Bar and of India in Podgorica are now closed.
^Note 4 : Situated in Podgorica unless otherwise noted. Established after gaining independence unless otherwise noted.
^Note 5 : Formerly a trade or cooperation office or mission (sometimes without diplomatic accreditation) established during the former Union State of Serbia and Montenegro). Current mission formally accredited to the host state.
^Note 6 : Not a sovereign state, but a sovereign non-state entity.
^Note 7 : A state with limited recognition.
Montenegro is not recognized by and has no diplomatic relations with the following 14 UN member states:
- Bahamas, Barbados, Belize
- Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Madagascar, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia, Tanzania
- Bhutan, Nigeria
- Marshall Islands, Papua New Guinea, Tonga
Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay wrote to Foreign Minister Miodrag Vlahović extending diplomatic recognition and agreeing to hold discussions on the establishment of diplomatic relations, which occurred later in 2007.
Montenegro-United States of America relations
The United States recognized the Republic of Montenegro on June 12, 2006, being among the first states to do so. Diplomatic relations between the two countries were established on August 15, and have since rapidly developed. On August 28, six U.S. Senators, John McCain (R-AZ), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mel Martinez (R-FL), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Richard Burr (R-NC) and John E. Sununu (R-NH), made an official visit to Montenegro. Their activities included a meeting with President Vujanovic and with the speaker of the Montenegrin parliament.
Soon after the congressional visit, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld paid an official visit to Montenegro, seeking support for the War on Terror and overall American geopolitical goals in Europe. Following the Secretary's meeting with Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Đukanović, it was announced that Montenegro had agreed in principle to aid the US efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, although no specific pledges of aid were made. For his part, Secretary Rumsfeld stated that the United States supported Montenegro's desire to join NATO and would also assist in its acquiring membership in the Partnership for Peace programme.
Bilateral relations turned a new page on October 5 when the United States opened an embassy in Podgorica at a ceremony attended by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Rosemary DiCarlo, Montenegrin Foreign Minister Miodrag Vlahović, Mayor Miomir Mugoša and US Charge d'affaires Arlene Ferrill. Roderick W. Moore, the first-ever Ambassador of the United States of America to the Republic of Montenegro, presented his credentials to Montenegrin President Vujanovic on September 19, 2007.
Montenegro currently maintains an embassy in Washington, D.C. and a consulate in New York City.
- Foreign relations of Serbia and Montenegro
- List of Ambassadors from Montenegro
- List of diplomatic missions in Montenegro
- List of diplomatic missions of Montenegro
- Montenegro in intergovernmental organizations
- JTW News - Kacin: EU will recognize Montenegro on June 12
- "Dates of Recognition and Establishment of Diplomatic Relations". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- Diplomatic Missions to Montenegro
- Embassies and consulates of Montenegro
- European Council decision
- Delegation of the European Union to Montenegro: "Diplomatic relations between Montenegro and the European Communities are conducted through the Montengrin Mission to the EU in Brussels, which has been fully functional since 2006, and the EU Delegation to Montenegro in Podgorica, which has been open since November 2007."
- Order of Precedence of Heads of Mission
- Montenegro - EU Montenegro relations: "The European Commission Delegation in Podgorica starts to function."
- Delegation of the European Commission in Podgorica
- Permanent Mission of Montenegro to the European Union
- Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Libya
- Establishiment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Indonesia
- "States with which Turkmenistan established diplomatic relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Tabela priznanja i uspostavljanja diplomatskih odnosa" (in Montenegrin). Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Establishiment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Iraq
- establece relaciones diplomáticas con Montenegro in Spanish only)
- "Montenegro opens embassy in Kosovo". Kosovo MFA. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Press release: Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Cape Verde
- Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Nauru
- "Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Sri Lanka". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and Antigua and Barbuda". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-04-11. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and Trinidad and Tobago". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-04-17. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Press release". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-11-06. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Kenya". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Djibouti". Montenegro Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Press release Friday, 17 August 2012". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Montenegro. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Montenegro. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and Ghana". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 20 September 2012.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and Mauritius". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 27 September 2012.
- "Uspostavljeni diplomatski odnosi između Crne Gore i Republike Haiti". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 17 October 2012.
- "Uspostavljeni diplomatski odnosi između Crne Gore i Saint Kitts i Nevis". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Uspostavljeni diplomatski odnosi između Crne Gore i Republike Gabon" (in Montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2012-11-11. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and the Kingdom of Swaziland". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 28 February 2013.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and the Republik of Rwanda" (in montenegrói). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "Potpisan protokol o uspostavljanju diplomatskih odnosa između Crne Gore i Federalnih Država Mikronezije" (in Montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Montenegro's head diplomat also met with his counterpart from Lesotho, Mohlabi Kenneth Tsekoa, when the two officials signed a protocol on the establishment of diplomatic relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2013-09-24. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Montenegro and the Republik of Vanuatu" (in Montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "Ministar Lukšić imao je i odvojene susrete sa ministrima vanjskih poslova Salvadora sa kojima je potpisao protokole o uspostavljanju diplomatskih odnosa." (in Montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2013-09-28. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Kiribati". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and Grenada". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Protocol on the establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Liberia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Montenegro and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela establish diplomatic relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Establishment of diplomatic relations between Montenegro and the Republic of Niger". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-09-15. Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- "Uspostavljeni diplomatski odnosi između Crne Gore i Republike Obale Slonovače" (in montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- "Uspostavljeni diplomatski odnosi između Crne Gore i Republike Čad" (in montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2015-03-20. Retrieved 2015-03-20.
- "Uspostavljanje diplomatskih odnosa između Crne Gore i Centralno Afričke Republike" (in montenegrin). Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Montenegro. 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- China Ministry of Foreign Affairs about relations with Montenegro
- "Rumsfeld Arrives in Montenegro to Meet With Leaders". U.S. Department of Defence. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Western Balkans Policy Review 2010. Center For Strategic & International Studies (CSIS). 2010. p. 30. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Montenegro
- Embassies and consulates in and of Montenegro
- Embassy of the United States of America in Podgorica
- The Njegoskij Fund Network: Foreign Representations in Montenegro
- The Njegoskij Fund Network: Montenegrin Representations Abroad
- The Njegoskij Fund Network: Today's Montenegro: Diplomacy