The city hall
Paris and inner ring départements
|Coordinates: 48°46′43″N 2°17′26″E / 48.7786°N 2.2905°ECoordinates: 48°46′43″N 2°17′26″E / 48.7786°N 2.2905°E|
|Intercommunality||Métropole du Grand Paris|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Laurent Vastel|
|Area1||2.51 km2 (0.97 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,700/km2 (25,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||92032 / 92260|
|Elevation||60–160 m (200–520 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
In 1880 a girls school École Normale Supérieure was opened in the town. It was one of the most prestigious of Paris and even of whole France in term of scientific research. It became a mixed school in 1986, and was relocated to Lyon in 2000.
The commune name originates from a local spring-fed stream (Latin fons, French fontaine) in the hillside descending from the Châtillon plateau, with "of roses" added to distinguish this commune from numerous French communes named Fontenay.
The climate of Fontenay-aux-Roses is oceanic gradient. The observation stations used for the weather in Fontenay-aux-Roses are at Orly and the airport of Velizy-Villacoublay, municipalities located not far from Fontenay-aux-Roses. The climate is characterized by sunshine and fairly low rainfall. The average rainfall is about 650 mm per year, spread over 111 rainy days on average, including 16 days of heavy rainfall (10 mm). Temperatures are mild; the coldest month is January with an average temperature of 4.7° C and the hottest months are July and August with a mean temperature of 20° C.
Fontenay-aux-Roses is served by Fontenay-aux-Roses station on Paris RER line B.
- Six public preschools (maternelles): La Roue, Les Ormeaux, Les Pervenches, Les Renards, Jean Macé, Scarron
- Six public elementary schools: La Roue A, La Roue B, Le Parc, Les Ormeaux, Les Pervenches, Les Renards
- One private preschool and elementary school: Maternelle et Elémentaire St-Vincent de Paul
Links between Wiesloch and Fontenay-aux-Roses are very strong. Indeed, many school projects are organized each year.
- Paul Scarron (1610–1660) - writer, lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Theresa Cabarrus (1773–1835) - Known as "Madame Tallien" whose residence has become the École Normale Supérieure de Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Aristide Boucicaut (1810–1877) - Founder of the Bon Marché and benefactor of the town, has long lived in Fontenay where he owned a large residence (known as the "castle Boucicaut and razed in 1954) it was also a member of the municipal council and was even elected mayor in 1871. However, he refused the post, and preferred to remain an alderman.
- Joris-Karl Huysmans (1848–1907) - Lived in Fontenay in July 1881, living where he worked in the book À Rebours, with the hero des Esseintes who lives in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Ferdinand Lot (1866–1952) - medieval historian, has long lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses, where he is buried in the family tomb.
- Pierre Bonnard (1867–1947) - Born in Fontenay at the corner of d'Estienne d'Orves Neyts and André, near the College des Ormeaux, painter.
- Paul Léautaud (1872–1956) - writer, lived in Fontenay (24, rue Guérard).
- Jacques Déprats (1880–1935) - Born in Fontenay, geologist.
- Valery Larbaud (1881–1957) - writer, lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Mikhail Larionov (1881-1964) - Painter of the Russian avant-garde, died in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Alexandra Exter (1882–1949) - Artist of the Russian avant-garde, died at Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- René Barthélemy (1889–1954) - French physicist, lived in Fontenay and is based on communal cemetery.
- René Letourneur (1898–1990) - Painter and sculptor, lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Boris Vildé (1908–1942) - Resistance fighter executed by the Germans, lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Yves Klein (1928–1962) - painter, lived in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Dieudonné M'bala M'bala (born 1966) - comedian, born in Fontenay.
- Laurent Aiello (born 1969) - Born in Fontenay, racing driver.
- Kamsoo Queen (born 1982) - model, comedian, lives in Fontenay-aux-Roses.
- Andrei Sinyavsky (1925–1997) - Russian writer, dissident, gulag survivor.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fontenay-aux-Roses.|