Follow the Boys
|Follow the Boys|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||A. Edward Sutherland|
|Produced by||Charles K. Feldman|
Fred E. Ahlert|
|Edited by||Fred R. Feitshans Jr.|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$2 million|
Follow the Boys also known as Three Cheers for the Boys is a 1944 musical film made by Universal Pictures during World War II as an all-star cast morale booster to entertain the troops abroad and the civilians at home. The film was directed by A. Edward "Eddie" Sutherland and produced by Charles K. Feldman. The movie stars George Raft and features Vera Zorina, Grace McDonald, Charles Grapewin, Regis Toomey and George Macready.
Making appearances are Walter Abel, Carmen Amaya, The Andrews Sisters, Evelyn Ankers, Louise Beavers, Noah Beery, Jr., Turhan Bey, Steve Brodie, Nigel Bruce, Lon Chaney, Jr., the Delta Rhythm Boys, Andy Devine, Marlene Dietrich, W. C. Fields, Susanna Foster, Thomas Gomez, Louis Jordan and His Orchestra, Ted Lewis and His Band, Jeanette MacDonald, Maria Montez, Clarence Muse, Donald O'Connor, Slapsie Maxie Rosenbloom, Artur Rubinstein, Peggy Ryan, Randolph Scott, Dinah Shore, Freddie Slack and His Orchestra, Gale Sondergaard, Sophie Tucker, Orson Welles, among many others.
- George Raft as Tony West
- Vera Zorina as Gloria Vance
- Charles Grapewin as Nick West
- Grace McDonald as Kitty
- Charles Butterworth as Louie West
- George Macready as Bruce
- Elizabeth Patterson as Annie
- Theodore von Eltz as Barrett
- Regis Toomey as Doctor Henderson
- Ramsay Ames as Laura
- Spooks as Junior
- And Molly Lamont, Doris Lloyd, Nelson Leigh, Lane Chandler, Cyril Ring, Emmett Vogan, Addison Richards, Stanley Andrews, Frank Jenks, Ralph Dunn, Billy Benedict, Howard C. Hickman, Edwin Stanley, Wallis Clark, Richard Crane, Frank Wilcox, Clyde Cook, Bobby Barber, Walter Tetley, Anthony Warde, William Forrest, Dennis Moore, Duke York, Carlyle Blackwell, Edwin Stanley, Charles King
The film was shot at the Naval Training Center San Diego.
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- 1994: MCA Home Video, VHS (80594), ISBN 0-7832-1096-5, 1994
- Everett Aaker, The Films of George Raft, McFarland & Company, 2013 p 109
- Follow the Boys at Maria Montez Fan Page
- Deschner, Donald (1966). The Films of W.C. Fields. New York: Cadillac Publishing by arrangement with The Citadel Press. p. 164. Introduction by Arthur Knight
- "AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs Nominees" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-30.