Paulino pitching for the Iowa Cubs, triple-A affiliates of the Chicago Cubs, in 2015
Born: October 5, 1983|
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|MLB: September 5, 2007, for the Houston Astros|
|NPB: June 18, 2016, for the Saitama Seibu Lions|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||5.22|
|NPB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.89|
Felipe Albertin Paulino Del Guidice (born October 5, 1983) is a Dominican-Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals and Chicago White Sox, and in Japan with Saitama Seibu Lions.
Paulino was signed as an undrafted free agent on July 2, 2001. He was called up to the major leagues in September 2007. He made his major league debut on September 5, 2007, against the Milwaukee Brewers and through 3 innings, he gave up 5 runs.
Kansas City Royals
Paulino was traded to the Kansas City Royals for cash considerations on May 26, 2011. He made 20 starts for the Royals in 2011, striking out 119 batters over 124 2/3 innings of work, posting a season record of 4–6 with a 4.11 ERA. Paulio started the 2012 seasonon the disabled list with right elbow strain, but after missing the first 6 games he came back to post a 3–1 with a 1.67 ERA over seven starts. It was during the seventh start that Paulino experienced major elbow problems, and was placed back on the disabled list on June 9. On June 22, it was announced that he would miss the rest of the 2012 season due to a torn UCL. He underwent ulnar collateral ligament replacement, (aka Tommy John surgery) on July 3, 2012.
The Royals signed Paulino to a one-year, $1.75 million contract on November 29, 2012. He began the 2013 season on the 60-day disabled list as he was still recovering from the Tommy John surgery he previously had. He began throwing sessions as part of his rehabilitation and began pitching in the minor leagues in May, but never pitched for the Royals in 2013. He was designated for assignment on November 20, 2013, and chose to become a free agent.
Chicago White Sox
On December 9, 2013, the White Sox signed Paulino to a one-year deal worth $1.75 million with a team option for 2015.
Boston Red Sox
Paulino signed a minor league contract with the Boston Red Sox on January 29, 2015. He was released on March 31.
On May 11, 2015, Paulino signed a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs.
2015 WBSC Premier12
On December 11, 2015, Paulino signed a minor league deal with the Cleveland Indians. The Indians released him on May 28, 2016.
Saitama Seibu Lions
Paulino throws two hard fastballs, a four-seamer at 93–97 mph and a two-seam fastball at 95–98 mph. His secondary pitch is a slider at 85–88. He also has a curveball (77–80) and changeup (85–87). His curve and change are used primarily against left-handed hitters.
- "Astros trade pitcher Paulino to Rockies for infielder – Houston Chronicle". chron.com. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Rockies Designate Felipe Paulino For Assignment, MLBTradeRumors.com, May 21, 2011.
- Royals Acquire Paulino From Rockies, DFA Tejeda, MLBTradeRumors.com, May 26, 2011.
- Kaegel, Dick (November 29, 2012). "Paulino, Royals agree on $1.75 million deal for '13". MLB.com via KC Royals website. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- "Kansas City Royals' Felipe Paulino has torn elbow ligament, likely needs surgery". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- Perry, Dayn (December 9, 2013). "White Sox agree to terms with Felipe Paulino". cbssports.com. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- Simon, Andrew (January 29, 2015). "Five get Minors deals, spring invites from Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Red Sox release Paulino, keep Quintero". ESPN.com. Associated Press. March 31, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Gleeman, Aaron (May 11, 2015). "Cubs sign right-hander Felipe Paulino". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "Venezuela reveals Final Roster for #Premier12". Mister Baseball. October 15, 2015. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Cleveland Indians invite veteran pitcher Felipe Paulino to spring training on minor league deal". cleveland.com. Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Felipe Paulino Del Guidice". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Felipe Paulino.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors), or Retrosheet, or Pura Pelota (VPBL stats)
- felipe paulino on Twitter
- Jumbo/hurakan on Instagram