The Harrow Inn, Old Farleigh Road
Farleigh shown within Surrey
|OS grid reference||TQ372602|
|Civil parish||Chelsham and Farleigh|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||East Surrey|
Farleigh is a village in the civil parish of Chelsham and Farleigh in the Tandridge District of Surrey, England. It is located in the North Downs AONB and the Metropolitan Green Belt, 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south east of Croydon, 13.4 miles (21.6 km) south of London and 25 miles (40 km) WNE of Surrey's county town, Guildford.
Farleigh appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as the manor of Ferlega. It was held by Robert de Wateville from Richard Fitz Gilbert (de Clare and de Tonbridge). Its domesday assets were: ½ hide; 2 ploughs, 1 ox, to its overlords per year rendering £3. Judging by the style of the western doorway of St Mary's Church, a date about the close of the 11th century is indicated, at least for the building of the first stone church. The present building is of field flints, with the original rough yellow plaster or mortar coat outside, and with dressings of local firestone and inside a little caen stone.
In the 13th century the manor belonged to Walter de Merton, who founded Merton College, Oxford and settled his property in Farleigh upon the new society. The living is a discharged rectory which gives rise to chancel repair liability on the holders of Merton College's land. The church is on an elevated site, and consists of a body and chancel only, with no tower. Charles I in 1634 confirmed the rights of the manor with the advowson and certain woods called Farley Parks, Farley Frith, Popletwood and Hedgegroves.
Post Industrial Revolution
In 1848 area comprised 1,060 acres (430 ha), of which 690 acres (280 ha) were arable, 320 acres (130 ha) woodland, and the remainder pasture, statistics which are little changed today. By that time the tithes had been commuted for £177 4s, and the glebe consisted of 28.5 acres (11.5 ha).
From 1965 to 1969 Farleigh was part of the London Borough of Croydon.
Farleigh makes up the northern part of Chelsham and Farleigh civil parish, both villages are on the North Downs, an AONB and within the Green Belt Farleigh is 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south east of Croydon, 13.4 miles (21.6 km) south of London and 25 miles (40 km) WNE of Surrey's county town, Guildford.
Elevations, soil and geology
Elevations range from 191m AOD in the south of Fickleshole (similarly the Chelsham border just south of the main village is 175m AOD – the bulk of the land is upland at a similar height) to the middle of a deep crevasse/ravine in the east between Fickleshole and Farleigh at 126m AOD
Farleigh lies high and commands views for a long distance with well wooded edges and the soil is most suited to pasture, including over London, from the centre of which it is visible from several locations, such as the golf course. The administrative centre of the district, Oxted is below the uplands upon which Farleigh lies, 4 miles (6.4 km) due south. The highest point of the North Downs, Botley Hill is a slight, gentle rise south of the Chelsham and Warlingham, which are on the same upland, along the straight road Croydon Road. Croydon Road afterwards veers east and descends the ridge to Westerham, Kent.
Surrey County Council, headquartered in Kingston, elected every four years, has one representative of the area. David Hodge, leader of the county council is its representative as Chelsham and Farleigh are within the Surrey Council Council ward of Warlingham.
|2010||Simon Morrow||Warlingham East & Chelsham & Farleigh|
|2011||Mike Wall||Warlingham East & Chelsham & Farleigh|
|2012||Jeremy Pursehouse||Warlingham East & Chelsham & Farleigh|
Fickleshole is mainly used for farming, with stables home to over eighty horses. Fickleshole was established in the early sixteenth century. As nearby New Addington to the northeast has been served by Tramlink, Fickleshole is relatively close to a good public transport system. Roads leading to the hamlet are very narrow with passing places, based on the old roads as used by horse and carts. Many of the roads are unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles. The White Bear public house, with its white bear sculpture outside, is the main landmark of the hamlet.
St Mary's Church
Sport and leisure
It has a football club called Farleigh Rovers F.C. in Warlingham. Their ground is called Parsonage Field. They play in The Cherry Red Combined Counties Football League and are in the same league as Warlingham F.C..
- Farleigh shown in map, tabular and described as part of the Hundred by H.E. Malden
- Surrey Domesday Book
- Domesday Map including text of the Domesday Book
- H.E. Malden (editor) (1912). "Parishes: Farley". A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Samuel Lewis (editor) (1848). "Farleigh, West - Farndish". A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Ordnance Survey map, courtesy of English Heritage
- Chelsham & Farleigh Parish Council website
- Grid reference Finder measurement tools
- Census data
- Tandridge Borough Council
- "Hodge, Mr David". Surrey County Council. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Surrey's County councillors". Surrey County Council. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- St Mary's Church, Farleigh - Grade I listing Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1377637)". National Heritage List for England.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Farleigh, Surrey.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fickleshole.|