|Native name||فخر عباس|
|Education||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Alma mater||University of the Punjab|
|Notable work||Animal's Rights in Islam (VDM Verlag, 2009)|
Fakhar Abbas (Urdu: فخر عباس) is a wildlife biologist from Pakistan. He began his career working with World Animal Protection against bearbaiting and has worked with the organization for almost a decade.
Abbas graduated from University of Arid Agriculture Rawalpindi and received his Doctorate from University of the Punjab and completed a postdoctoral position at Wright State University. His doctoral research was focused on various aspects of the life cycle and population of Gray Goral.
The first bear rescue centre in Pakistan, named Kund Bear Sanctuary, was established in 2000. Since then, the organization has rescued several bears from the bearbaiting events. Another bear rescue centre Balkasar Bear Sanctuary in Chakwal, Punjab has also been established, where the rescued bears are now housed.
Abbas is Executive Director of the Bioresource Research Centre, which conducts research in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioacoustics, herpetology, and animal physiology, and includes a herbarium and a library for the researchers from all Pakistani universities to conduct and complete their research. In 2010 he also started Institute of Natural and Management Sciences (INAM), a degree-granting educational institute affiliated with the University of Sargodha.
During his efforts for the conservation of the wildlife, especially the bears on whom he has some expertise, he visited 1845 schools to involve students in conservation of their native areas, and also conveyed his message regarding the conservation and animal rights in Islam to various mosque leaders in order to appeal to the people through their religious sentiments. His book Animal's Rights in Islam focuses on the issue of rights of animals in Islam and advoctaes for humane treatment of animals. Abbas has published extensively on bioresource management and on other wildlife and conservation related issues.
- Abbas, Fakhar-I-; Akhtar, T; Milan, A (Sep 27, 2008). "Food and feeding preferences of Himalayan gray goral (Naemorhedus goral bedfordi) in Pakistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir". Zoo Biology. 5: 371–380. doi:10.1002/zoo.20202. PMID 19360631.
- Kemmerer, Lisa (2015). Bear Necessities: Rescue, Rehabilitation, Sanctuary, and Advocacy. Brill. p. 114. ISBN 978-9004292901.
- "Pakistan's fighting bears get sanctuary in Balkasar". The Express Tribune, Pakistan. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Bear Sanctuaries Around The World". Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Raja, Masood. "Waltzing with Bears: Fahkar Abbas and a Conservation Miracle in Pakistan". The Pakistan Forum. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Editors: Journal of Bioresource Management". Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Welcome to Bioresource Research Centre". Pbrc.edu.pk. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- "Sargodha University starts Admissions in INAM". Pakistan Educators News. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- Abbas, Fakahar-I-; Bhatti, Zahid I; Haider, Jibran; Mian, Afsar (2015). "Bears in Pakistan: Distribution, Population Biology and Human Conflicts". Journal of Bioresource Management. 2 (2): 1–13. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Hawthorne, Mark (2013). Bleating Hearts: The Hidden World of Animal Suffering. Changemakers Books. ISBN 978-1780998510.
- Vaughan, Claudette. "Interview with Fakhar-i-Abbas". Animal Liberation Front. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Fakhar-i-Abbas". Research Gate. Retrieved 26 April 2016.