|Industry||Design, Engineering, Education|
Prof. Chris Wise|
Chris Wise (Director)|
Seán Walsh (Director)
Andrew Weir (Director)
Ed McCann (Director)
Julia Ratcliffe (Director)
|Parent||The Useful Simple Trust|
Expedition Engineering is a London-based consulting firm, delivering structural engineering services.
On 2 October 2008, Expedition's ownership was restructured, passing to an Employee Benefit Trust called the Useful Simple Trust. The Useful Simple Trust also owns Thomas Matthews, a communications firm; Think Up, a company specialising in engineering educational materials; and Useful Simple Projects, a strategic and sustainability consultants.
The trustees of the Useful Simple Trust are:
- Mike Davies, founding director of the Richard Rogers Partnership
- Duncan Michael, former Chairman of Ove Arup & Partners
- Sophie Thomas, director of Thomas Matthews
- Ed McCann, director of Useful Simple Projects
- Chris Wise, director of Expedition Engineering
- Sean Walsh, director of Expedition Engineering
- Tim O'Brien, Theatre Designer
Expedition Engineering's notable projects are:
- London Velodrome, London, England (2011)
- Infinity Bridge, Stockton on Tees, England (2009)
- Las Arenas Bullring, Barcelona, Spain
- 55 Baker Street, London, England (2007)
- Emirates Air Line, London, England (2012)
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Athens, Greece (2015)—National Opera and National Library
Expedition is working with One world Design on the design of the new Diamond Jubilee Footbridge across the Thames between Battersea and Chelsea.
Expedition has twice won the IStructE's Supreme Award for Structural Engineering, for the London 2012 Velodrome in 2011 and for the Infinity Bridge in 2009. 55 Baker Street also received a commendation for sustainability at the Structural Awards.
Expedition Engineering is involved in several educational projects, including Constructionarium and the Expedition Workshed website, a selection of educational tools for engineering students created by Expedition with the support of a number of other organisations.
- Rappaport, Nina (2007). Support and Resist. New York: Monacelli Press. ISBN 9781580931878.
- "Expedition Web Site". Expedition Engineering. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Useful Simple Trust Launch" (PDF) (Press release). Useful Simple Trust. 12 November 2009. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "Thomas Matthews Web Site". Thomas Matthews. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Think Up Web Site". Think Up. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Useful Simple Projects Web Site". Useful Simple Projects. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Mike Davies biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Duncan Michael biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Sophie Thomas biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Ed McCann biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Chris Wise biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Sean Walsh biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Tim O'Brien biography". Useful Simple Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Pallister, James (2011). Hopkins Architects: London 2012 Velodrome : Design in Pursuit of Efficiency. London: Emap Inform. ISBN 9780956787712.
- "Infinity Bridge, Stockton-on-Tees". e-Architect. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "55 Baker Street Case Study". Concrete Centre. 3 March 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "London gets its cable car!". Architecture Today. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center" (Press release). Stavros Niarchos Foundation. February 2008. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- Frith, Maxine (15 November 2012). "First look at new Thames footbridge which would link Chelsea Harbour and Battersea". Evening Standard. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Structural Awards 2011". IStructE. November 2011. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Building Awards 2012". Building Magazine. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Expedition Workshed". Expedition. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- expedition.uk.com, official website
- The Expedition Workshed, website for educational purposes
- Useful Simple Trust, group website.