1 January 1900|
10 November 1943 43) (aged|
German Empire (to 1918)|
Weimar Republic (to 1919)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 76|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Erwin Koopmann (1 January 1900 – 10 November 1943) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded several corps. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Erwin Koopmann was killed on 10 November 1943 in Ulianivka, Ukraine and was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 November 1943.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (31 May 1940)
- 1st Class (19 June 1940)
- Infantry Assault Badge (22 October 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (1 October 1941)
- in Silver (24 September 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (19 January 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 November 1943 as Major of the Reserves and leader of Grenadier-Regiment 76
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.