Erwin Louis Hahn|
June 9, 1921
|Died||September 20, 2016 95)(aged|
University of California
University of Illinois
Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize (1971)|
Wolf Prize in Physics (1983/4)
Career and research
He has been Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley since 1991 and was professor of physics, 1955-91. Hahn was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1971. In 1999 he was awarded the Comstock Prize in Physics from the National Academy of Sciences. In 2013, Sir Peter Mansfield said in his autobiography that Hahn was "the person who really missed out" the Nobel Prize for his contribution to the principles of spin echoes. He also received the 2016 Gold Medal from the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM). The award, ISMRM's highest honor, was given to Hahn for his creation of pulsed magnetic resonance and processes of signal refocusing which are essential to modern day MRI. He died at the age of 95 in 2016.
- Pulsed magnetic resonance--NMR, ESR, and optics: a recognition of E.L. Hahn. Oxford University Press. 1992. ISBN 0-19-853962-2.
- Filler, AG: The history, development, and impact of computed imaging in neurological diagnosis and neurosurgery: CT, MRI, DTI: Nature Precedings doi:10.1038/npre.2009.3267.4.
- Hahn, E.L. (1950). "Spin echoes". Physical Review. 80: 580–594. Bibcode:1950PhRv...80..580H. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.80.580.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter H" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- "Comstock Prize in Physics". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Peter Mansfield (2013). The long road to Stockholm. The story of MRI. An autobiography. p. 217. ISBN 978-0-19-966454-2.
- "Erwin Hahn Receives Gold Medal Award". Physics @ Berkeley. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "Remembering Erwin Hahn". Physics @ Berkeley. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Oral History interview transcript with Erwin L. Hahn 21 August 1986, American Institute of Physics, Niels Bohr Library and Archives
- The Transformative Genius of Erwin Hahn - Interview published 8 May 2016, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Highlights.