Harris (right) returning an interception in a pre-season game with the Tiger-Cats
|No. 30 New Orleans Saints|
|Date of birth:||April 2, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Los Angeles, California|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school:||New Oxford (PA)|
|College:||California University (Pa.)|
|Roster status:||Injured reserve|
|Career NFL statistics|
Erik Harris (born April 2, 1990) is an American football strong safety for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at California University of Pennsylvania and attended New Oxford High School in New Oxford, Pennsylvania. He has also been a member of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League (CFL). Harris is known for playing many positions, including free and strong safety, halfback (which has an entirely different meaning than the American football halfback), cornerback, weakside linebacker and strong-side linebacker.
Early life and college
Harris was born in Los Angeles, California. When Harris was two months old, his parents separated and he moved to Baltimore with his mother. Harris and his mother moved to Pennsylvania when he was in the fifth grade. He attended New Oxford High School in New Oxford, Pennsylvania.
He attended California University of Pennsylvania, playing safety for the Division II California Vulcans football team. In four college seasons, he made 231 tackles on defense. He was a First Team All-Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (All-PSAC) selection in 2010. He was a Second Team All-PSAC selection in 2011.
Weeks before the draft, Harris was signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on April 11, 2013. He played in 45 games for Hamilton, making 79 defensive tackles and 27 special teams tackles. He caught a touchdown on offense and recorded three interceptions.
New Orleans Saints
Harris signed a reserve/future contract with the New Orleans Saints on February 2, 2016. Joel Erickson of The Advocate noted that Harris was a CFL linebacker but that he had the ability to play as an NFL defensive back. After former Saints safety Rafael Bush signed with the Detroit Lions, New Orleans announced that Harris would play safety. He was placed on injured reserve on October 13, 2016.
- "Erik Harris - 2011 Football". calvulcans.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "A few minutes with Erik Harris". thespec.com. July 23, 2014. Archived from the original on March 9, 2016. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Miller, Zach (February 3, 2016). "Former New Oxford star signs with NFL's Saints". Hanover Evening Sun. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "Ticats add five To defence". ticats.ca. April 11, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Erik Harris CFL profile". CFL.ca. February 5, 2016. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Saints Sign CFL Linebacker Erik Harris". neworleans.suntimes.com. February 2, 2016. Archived from the original on February 3, 2016. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Saints deploying Erik Harris at safety". theadvocate.com. March 14, 2016. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Just Sports Stats
- NFL Draft Scout
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats profile Archived index at the Wayback Machine.