Erie Canal Museum
|Established||October 25, 1962|
Erie Canal Museum in former weigh lock building, Syracuse, New York
|Location||SE corner of Erie Blvd. E. and Montgomery St., Syracuse, New York|
|Coordinates||43°3′2.4″N 76°8′55.8″W / 43.050667°N 76.148833°WCoordinates: 43°3′2.4″N 76°8′55.8″W / 43.050667°N 76.148833°W|
|NRHP Reference #||71000552|
|Added to NRHP||February 18, 1971|
The Erie Canal Museum, in Syracuse, New York,USA, is a museum about the Erie Canal across New York. It is located in the Weighlock Building, itself listed on the National Register of Historic Places of the United States.
The museum was founded in 1962 and is a private, non-profit corporation. It is housed in a weigh lock building dating from 1850, where canal boats used to be weighed when travelling through Syracuse on the canal. The museum includes a gallery of present canal life.
Market Building was built in an abandoned canal basin which extended south from the Weighlock Building in East Water Street. The building was originally intended as a "center for meat dealers" but failed as such. Later, the building was repurposed for city offices and as a meeting place for the public. The front of the building was occupied by a small, fenced grass plot.
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
- New York State Canalway Trail
- Old Erie Canal State Historic Park
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Waite, Diana S. (August 1970). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Weighlock Building". Retrieved 2009-05-05. and Accompanying photo, exterior, from 1970
- Early, Frank J. (January 31, 1940). "Bicycle and Automobile Set New Tempo and Brought More Industry to Syracuse". The Post-Standard. Syracuse, New York.
- Media related to Erie Canal in Syracuse, New York at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-5451, "Weighlock Building, Erie Boulevard East & Montgomery Street, Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York", 19 photos, 2 data pages, 2 photo caption pages