Enrica Georgia Soma|
May 9, 1929
New York City, U.S.
January 29, 1969 39) (aged|
|Spouse(s)||John Huston (1950-1969-her death)|
Soma was born in Manhattan, New York, the daughter of Italian-immigrant parents, Antonio Angelo "Tony" Soma, an entrepreneur; and Angelica (née Fantoni; 1891–1933), an aspiring singer and actress. Enrica was known by her nickname "Ricki". Her father ran the famed Tony's Wife restaurant in Manhattan, a popular celebrity dining spot for folks like Dorothy Parker. Tony Soma then became a prominent Manhattan night-life figure known as "Broadway Tony" and "Yoga Tony"; he would greet guests entering the restaurant by standing on his head and singing. His wife Angelica died age 42 of pneumonia and her father remarried to socialite Dorothy Flora Fraser (1910–1996). Ricki had a brother, Philip Soma, and half-siblings from her father's remarriage- Linda, Fraser, and Tony Jr.
Soma was pushed into the entertainment industry by her father, using the connections he had gained through his restaurant. She studied ballet with George Balanchine and joined his company as a principal dancer. As a model, she appeared on the June 9, 1947 cover of Life Magazine at the age of 18. She worked often with Philippe Halsman. She was then offered a film contract by David O. Selznick, but turned down becoming an actress once she met Huston.
The director John Huston saw Soma's photo and began pursuing her. Eventually she became his fourth wife, and they married in 1950 when she was pregnant with their first child, Walter Antony Huston (b. 1950), an Oscar-nominated screenwriter. Their second child is Academy Award winning actress Anjelica Huston (b. 1951). The marriage was troubled, due to the age difference between them, and Huston often being absent from home to make movies. It was later revealed that while married to Huston Enrica had an affair with John Julius Norwich, producing a child, Allegra Huston (b. 1964). Around the same time, Huston was having an affair with actress Zoe Sallis, who gave birth to Huston's son, Danny Huston (b. 1962). Soma is also the grandmother of actor Jack Huston.
- "Person Details for Anthony Soma, "United States Census, 1940" —". Familysearch.org. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- by Lillian RossPhotographs by Annie Leibovitz. "Anjelica Huston: The Men She Loves". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- Huston, Anjelica. "Anjelica Huston on Her Father, John Huston: "He Was Extremely Well-Endowed"". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Enrica Soma". The Infomercantile. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "John Huston: Courage and Art - Jeffrey Meyers - Google Books". Books.google.com. 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- Iley, Chrissy (2011-11-20). "Anjelica Huston: tears are not enough". Telegraph. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Original Life Magazine from June 1947, 9". Old Life Magazines. 1947-06-09. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Secrets and lies: My life as a Hollywood love child | Profiles | News". The Independent. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- November 11, 2013, 8:51 AM (2013-11-11). "Anjelica Huston: Of royal Hollywood blood - Page 2". CBS News. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- Mills, Natalie (2012-01-11). "Natalie's Art House: Enrica Soma photographs". Nataliesarthouse.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-06-13.