Ceutan Assembly election, 2011
The 2011 elections to the Ceuta Assembly were the fifth elections to the unicameral regional legislature of the Spanish autonomous city of Ceuta. The elections were held on 22 May 2011 to elect the 25 members of the Assembly.
Voting was on the basis of universal suffrage in a secret ballot. The electoral system used was closed list proportional representation in a single electoral district with seats allocated using the D'Hondt method. Only lists which poll at least 5% of the total votes cast (including votes "en blanco" i.e. for "none of the above") were eligible for seats.
The People's Party (PP) has dominated recent elections to the Assembly, winning 19 of the seats in the elections of 2003 and 2007 and polls suggested incorrectly that the PP was lkely to increase its majority. The second largest party, the Ceutan Democratic Union, has formed an electoral alliance with the Socialist Party of the People of Ceuta under the name Caballas Coalition (Coalición Caballas.) The third largest party, the Spanish Socialist Workers' Party (PSOE), was predicted incorrectly to overtake the Caballas Coalition, according to opinion polls.
Juan Jesús Vivas Lara of the PP retained the post of Mayor-President, held since 2001.
Parties represented in the Assembly
|People's Party (PP)||Juan Jesús Vivas Lara|
|Caballas Coalition (Caballas)||Mohamed Alí||Coalition formed by Ceutan Democratic Union and Socialist Party of the People of Ceuta|
|Spanish Socialist Workers' Party (PSOE)||José Antonio Carracao|
Parties unrepresented in the Assembly
|Falange (FE)||Francisco Javier García|
|Confederation of the Greens (LV-GV DE CEUTA)||Juan Redondo|
|Social Democratic Party of Ceuta (P.D.S.C.)||Abderrafer Mohamed Abdelnebi|
|Union, Progress and Democracy (UPyD)||Julián Domínguez|
|People's Party(06/05/2010) Seats||19||4-3||2-3||-||-||-|
|People's Party(21/01/2011) Seat Projections||20||2||3||-||-||-|
- Ceuta election results historiaelectoral.com, accessed 2 May 2011
- Vivancos, Silvia (20 March 2010). "La coalición Caballas inicia su andadura política basada en valores progresistas". El Faro Digital. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "El PP repetiría 19 diputados en las próximas elecciones según una encuesta de Mercociudad". Ceutaldia. 6 May 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "El PSOE se afianza como principal partido de la oposición en Ceuta". El Mundo. 7 January 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- Aznar, Luis Manuel (21 January 2011). "Un sondeo del PP nacional da a Vivas 20 escaños en Ceuta". El Faro Digital. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
|Elections to the Ceuta Assembly|| Succeeded by|