Dylan (1973 album)
Dylan is the thirteenth studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on November 19, 1973 by Columbia Records. Compiled and issued by the label with no input from Dylan himself, it contains no original Dylan songs, the material consisting of two outtakes from Self Portrait and another seven from New Morning. It followed the artist's departure from Columbia for Asylum Records, and the announcement of his first major tour since 1966.
Although Dylan received very poor reviews, it managed to hit #17 in the US and become a gold record. It is the only Columbia Dylan album not to be reissued on compact disc in the North American market at the request of Dylan himself. Recently the album has been re-issued on digital disc included in the Complete Album Collection Vol. One box set (2013). It became his first album never to chart in the UK, where his albums generally charted higher than in the US. In Europe, it was called Dylan – A Fool Such as I.
A different recording of "Spanish Is the Loving Tongue" had been issued as the B-side of Dylan's 1971 single "Watching the River Flow". Until December 2009, the album was available on iTunes as part of the download Bob Dylan: The Collection. The first seven tracks were recorded in June 1970 for New Morning sessions; the last two recorded in April 1969 for Self Portrait sessions.
- ↑ Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Dylan at AllMusic
- ↑ "Robert Christgau review". Robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- ↑ Flanagan, Bill (1991-03-29). "Entertainment Weekly review". Ew.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- ↑ Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide (2nd ed.). Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 371. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.
- ↑ Landau, Jon (November 19, 1973). "Bob Dylan Dylan album review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- ↑ Brackett, Nathan; with Hoard, Christian (eds) (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York, NY: Fireside. p. 262. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ↑ Robert Shelton, 1986. No Direction Home: The Life and Music of Bob Dylan. New York: William Morrow and Co., p. 428. ISBN 068805045X
- ↑ Amazon editorial comment retrieved 26 September 2013.
- ↑ Michael Gray, 2006. The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia. London: Continuum International, p. 194. ISBN 0826469337
- ↑ UK chart history website retrieved 26 September 2013.
- ↑ Expecting Rain website Dylan US chart history retrieved 26 September 2013.
- ↑ Olof Bjorner About Bob website 1969 session pages retrieved 26 September 2013.
- ↑ "DYLAN". Retrieved 2012-02-07.