Duets II (Tony Bennett album)
|Studio album by Tony Bennett|
|Released||September 20, 2011|
|Recorded||Spring 2011 London Los Angeles Tuscany New York and Nashville|
|Tony Bennett chronology|
|Singles from Duets II|
|Los Angeles Times|
Duets II is an album by Tony Bennett, released on September 20, 2011. It was released in conjunction with Bennett's 85th birthday and is a sequel to his previous duet album, Duets: An American Classic. One of the songs, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore", however, was released on iTunes as a free song on August 2, 2011.
The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, marking his first No. 1 album, selling 179,000 copies. He also became the oldest living artist to debut at No. 1 on Billboard 200. It was a milestone for Bennett in that it was not only his first No. 1 album but also his first album to debut at No. 1, both at the same time. Duets II recently achieved Platinum sales status in Canada as certified by Music Canada. The album won the Grammy Award for the Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album amongst 2011 releases at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards held in February 2012.
Bennett also won another 2011 Grammy at the same ceremony for his duet with Amy Winehouse on the standard "Body and Soul." The duo won the Grammy for Best Pop Duo or Group Performance. "Body and Soul" was one of Amy's favorite songs, and the track, recorded in March 2011, would become Winehouse's final recording before her death just a few months later, in July of that year. These two 2011 Grammy Awards were his 16th and 17th to date in his career, including a Lifetime Achievement Award, which was presented to him in 2001. "Body and Soul" was Bennett's first entry on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in nearly 45 years.
In addition, Duets II earned arranger Jorge Calandrelli the Grammy for the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) for Bennett's duet with Queen Latifah on the track "Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)" The Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse standard was featured in the 1964 London West End and Broadway musical The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd. Bennett recorded the song late that year and hit the Billboard Top 40 with the single.
Bennett and duet partner Carrie Underwood performed "It Had to Be You," the duet they sing on Duets II, during the same Grammy Awards ceremony and were also presenters at the ceremony.
Tony Bennett: Portrait of an Artist, the photography of Kelsey Bennett and Josh Cheuse, was on display at The Morrison Hotel Gallery SoHo. The photo exhibit captured the creative essence during the recording process of the legendary artist's new album.
The track listing for Duets II was released through the iTunes Store on August 2, 2011.
|1.||"The Lady Is a Tramp"||Lady Gaga||3:18|
|2.||"One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)"||John Mayer||2:58|
|3.||"Body and Soul"||Amy Winehouse||3:23|
|4.||"Don't Get Around Much Anymore"||Michael Bublé||2:42|
|5.||"Blue Velvet"||k.d. lang||4:35|
|6.||"How Do You Keep the Music Playing"||Aretha Franklin||5:29|
|7.||"The Girl I Love"||Sheryl Crow||3:53|
|8.||"On the Sunny Side of the Street"||Willie Nelson||2:57|
|9.||"Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)"||Queen Latifah||3:53|
|10.||"Speak Low"||Norah Jones||3:56|
|11.||"This Is All I Ask"||Gordon Jenkins||Josh Groban||4:36|
|12.||"Watch What Happens"||Natalie Cole||2:10|
|13.||"Stranger in Paradise"||Andrea Bocelli||5:03|
|14.||"The Way You Look Tonight"||Faith Hill||3:55|
|15.||"Yesterday I Heard the Rain"||Alejandro Sanz||3:44|
|16.||"It Had to Be You"||Carrie Underwood||3:51|
|17.||"When Do the Bells Ring for Me"||Charles DeForest||Mariah Carey||2:52|
|Target bonus tracks|
|18.||"When You Wish Upon a Star"||Jackie Evancho||3:44|
|19.||"They Can't Take That Away from Me"||Brad Paisley||2:59|
|UK deluxe edition (Tesco exclusive)|
|18.||"When You Wish Upon a Star"||Jackie Evancho||3:44|
|19.||"I've Got the World on a String"||Diana Krall||3:07|
|20.||"Steppin' Out with My Baby"||Irving Berlin||Michael Bublé||2:02|
|21.||"I Left My Heart in San Francisco"||Judy Garland||2:01|
|Deluxe edition bonus DVD|
|1.||"Duets II - The Making of the Album: Introduction"|
|2.||"Recording with Norah Jones and Josh Groban"|
|3.||"Recording with Willie Nelson, k.d. lang and Carrie Underwood"|
|4.||"Duet with Andrea Bocelli"|
|5.||"Duet with Alejandro Sanz"|
|6.||"Duet with John Mayer"|
|7.||"Duet with Michael Bublé"|
|8.||"Recording with Queen Latifah"|
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Tony Bennett.com
- Steffen Hung. "Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - The Lady Is A Tramp". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Duets II at AllMusic
- "Album review: Tony Bennett's 'Duets II'". LA Times. 2011-09-19. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Tony Bennett: The Official Site
- "Tony Bennett Becomes Oldest Living Artist to Top Billboard 200". Billboard.biz. 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Canadian album certifications – Tony Bennett – Duets II". Music Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- According to the liner notes on Amy Winehouse's CD Lioness: Hidden Treasures, released domestically in the U.S. on 06 Dec 11.
- AllMusic Rovi Corporation courtesy Billboard Publications
- Joel Whitburn, The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits; Billboard Publications. ISBN 0-8230-7511-7
- "Tony Bennett: Portrait of An Artist - NEW YORK, Sept. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/". New York: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Duets II by Tony Bennett". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- Tony Bennett - Duets II (cd/dvd) - Free Delivery - Tesco Entertainment
- Tony Bennett - Duets II (CD+DVD Deluxe Edition) - BangCD.com
- "Top 50 Albums Chart - Australian Recording Industry Association". ARIA. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "TOP STRANIH - TJEDAN 39. 2011." (in Croatian). hdu-toplista.com, HDU; webcitation.org. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "CYTA". Cyta.gr. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége". mahasz.hu. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart]]". Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Duets II de Tony Bennett copa las listas del mundo]]". Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- UK Albums Chart - issued on Sunday 25 September 2011
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Adele's "21" crowned ARIA's highest selling album of 2011 LMFAO takes single honours with "Party Rock Anthem"" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- "Billboard.BIZ". Billboard.BIZ. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Classement Albums - année 2011" (in French). SNEP. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Los Mas Vendidos 2011" (PDF) (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Top 100 - lista roczna" (PDF) (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Årslista Album – År 2011" (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Swedish Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2011 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Canadian album certifications – Tony Bennett – Duets". Music Canada. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Certificaciones – Tony Bennett" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "Polish album certifications – Tony Bennett – Duets" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- "American album certifications – Tony Bennett – Duets". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved July 20, 2016. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH