Doris Löve was born in Kristianstad, Sweden. She studied botany at Lund University from 1937. She married her fellow student and colleague, the Icelander Áskell Löve. She received her PhD in botany in 1944. Together, Áskell and Doris Löve undertook numerous investigations of the chromosome numbers of plants and their use in plant systematics. They published numerous accounts in this field.
In 1962, she was the convener of an influential scientific conference on the North Atlantic Biota and their History with contributions from a.o. Eric Hultén, Tyge W. Böcher, Hugo Sjörs, John Axel Nannfeldt, Knut Fægri, Bruce C. Heezen and Marie Tharp.
- Kaersvang, Lóa Löve; Weber, W.A.; Ives, J. D. (2000). "Doris Löve (1918-2000) In Memoriam". Arctic and Alpine Research. 32 (3): 360–363. JSTOR 1552536.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D. (1961). Chromosome numbers of central and northwest European plant species. Opera Botanica vol. 5. Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell. pp. 1–581.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D. (1966). Cytotaxonomy of the alpine vascular plants of Mount Washington. University of Colorado Studies. Series of Biology No. 24. Boulder: University of Colorado. pp. 1–75.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D. (1974). Cytotaxonomical atlas of the Slovenian flora. Cytotaxonomical Atlases vol. 1. Vaduz: J. Cramer. p. 1241.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D. (1975). Cytotaxonomical atlas of the Arctic flora. Cytotaxonomical Atlases vol. 2. Vaduz: J. Cramer. p. 598.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D.; Pichi-Sermolli, R. E. G. (1977). Cytotaxonomical atlas of the Pteridophyta. Cytotaxonomical Atlases vol. 3. Vaduz: J. Cramer. p. 398.
- Löve, Á.; Löve, D. (1963). North Atlantic Biota and their History: A symposium held at University of Iceland, Reykjavík July 1962. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- IPNI. D.Löve.