Dominicans Don't Play
|Founding location||New York City|
|Years active||1990 - Present|
|Territory||New York, Dominican Republic, New Jersey, Florida &, Spain.|
|Membership||9,500 to 10,000|
|Criminal activities||Drug trafficking, murder, arms trafficking, assault, extortion|
|Rivals||Trinitarios, Ñetas, Bloods &, Latin Kings|
Dominicans Don't Play (DDP) is a Dominican-American street gang started in Manhattan, New York in the early 1990s. They are known for primarily using machetes and knives as weapons. DDP is located across New York City, particularly in The Bronx, Harlem &, The Lower East Side
The gang holds a large share of the cocaine market due to an association with the Colombian crime cartel, and as such, many members of the group have been arrested for drug-related crimes. Members have drawn the interest of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and some have faced deportation hearings. The DDP has also drawn the interest of the US Marshals.
Bones is a known gang cofounded by Charly and Cacon in Christopher Columbus High School to prevent Hispanics from facing abuse within high schools in the Bronx. Bones caught police attention after massive machetes attacks and unity within Walton High School, Theodore Roosevelt High School, Taft High School, South Bronx High School, Lehman High School, and Morris High School, Monroe High School, Evander High School where they recruited all Dominicans to the gang. The name "BON Wish Later" was switch to BONES because of their love of liquor and passion for crime. Charly is currently serving a 15 years sentence for murder and Cacon was deported to the Dominican Republic after serving 7 years for conspiracy, where he continues his criminal activities. On December 13, 2013 extradition to the United States Of America was in process for Cacon for conspiracy, murder and assault. It was later refused by Judge Hon. Douglas E. McKeon.
Dominicans For Life
Another offshoot of the DDP gang is DFL, short for Dominicans For Life. DFL was discovered by the beads similar to those used by DDP, with the exception of the use of black, along with the use of a similar hand sign.
Notable criminal acts
Pelham and murder
Coney Island arrests
A contingent of 47 gang members who were allegedly planning to wreak havoc on the Coney Island boardwalk were arrested. One of those arrested had a gun and 30 machetes.
February 20, 2007 murder
On February 20, 2007 an 18-year-old boy was stabbed 21 times in Boston's Back Bay MBTA station by a gang of teenagers as part of their jumping in process. The man subsequently quit the gang, and the DDP code orders that past members must be killed.
Murder of Marviel Martinez
On April 13, 2005 fifteen-year-old Alex Ramirez, a member of the DDP offshoot Bones, was charged with second-degree murder after witnesses said he slashed 16-year-old Marviel Martinez (rival gang member Trinitario) in the neck and then thrust the blade deep in the teen's back Tuesday morning at the Jerome Avenue IRT 183rd Street station.
Murder of Mark Tyrell
December 2006 murder
A brutal fight amongst almost 50 teenagers in Union Square left one teen dead (Taishawn Bellevue) and two others injured. Police Commissioner Kelly said it was a "planned confrontation": Some Washington Irving High School female students were "insulted," so they enlisted their boyfriends at Science Skills High School to defend their honor. Taishawn Bellevue was killed during this altercation. Taishawn was an aspiring basketball player known as baby lebron, as his Myspace page is littered with LeBron James wall papers.
Commissioner Kelly also suggested that the fight was gang-related, as some Washington Irving students are members of DDP - Dominicans Don't Play. Other students who were based at Science Skills could not have been members of a gang. An official who spoke to the NY Times, someone whistled to start the fight and the girls' contingent from Science Skills had 15 people "with no plans for a confrontation and found themselves outnumbered." Police reviewed surveillance footage from a nearby store that captured the fight. Around 50 teens involved used belts, pieces of wood, and bats during the altercation. 16-year-old Francisco Baez is charged with murder, gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon. after two people picked him out of a line up. He later confessed to the crime as a result of being identified.
In 2004 several people associated with DDP were arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a River Edge, New Jersey man after the North Hudson Dominican Day Parade in August 2003. They have had an ongoing feud with other area gangs, including the sets affiliated with the United Blood Nation and the Trinitarios, a group comprised also of Dominican youths. There was a recent arrest of three members of the DDP by the FBI.
On January 1, 2007 3 members of the gang DDP were arrested in New York City. They were wanted for multiple charges relating to a shooting incident at a restaurant in which the three subjects fired several rounds killing one person and critically injuring three. They were arrested in NY with a .38 caliber hand gun. Other incidents include a large brawl in Manhattan's Union Square.
Potential for expansion
They are currently the second largest gang of Dominican descent behind the Trinitario Gang. The group has limited potential for nationwide expansion and is largely confined to areas with significant Dominican populations in particular Washington Heights Florida, Atlanta, Boston and New Jersey. It is the fastest growing gang in the Bronx, and amongst the largest in New Jersey. They are considered to have the largest concentration of Dominicans of any neighborhood in the United States, combined population of Dominicans residing in New York and New Jersey totals around 1.2 out of an overall US Dominican population of 2.3 million as of 2001.
In other countries
On March 7, 2006 Spanish Police in Madrid noted a growing gang presence of the Latin Kings and DDP. Spanish police report 130 documented DDP members, making them the largest in Spain. DDP is the largest and most violent street gang in Spain. The gang has become the most prominent gangs in Madrid. On November 5, Spanish security forces arrested 40 DDP members, all of them between 16 and 29 years old. The security forces confiscated 5 guns, one grenade, one machete, ammo, 3 baseball bats, 400 grams of cocaine, and 200.000 euros in cash.
- DDP's biggest rival gang since the early 2000s, they were once united in the 1990s.
- http://www.streetgangs.com/topics/2005/031105nybx.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18273181&BRD=1291&PAG=461&dept_id=523590&rfi=6. Missing or empty
- Christian, Nichole M. (August 12, 2001). "Brooklyn Journal; Fatal Accident Tests Neighborhood Trust in Police". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs27/27506/dtos.htm. Missing or empty
- http://www.njrcpoa.com/American%20Gang%20Crisis%20Alert.htm. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110720152730/http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/prosecutor/pressrelease/GOVERNOR%20crime%20plan%203%20(3)%20-%20Abramowitz%20-%20Oct%208%202008.htm. Archived from the original on July 20, 2011. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090114045842/http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/080623newark.htm. Archived from the original on January 14, 2009. Missing or empty
- http://www.njgia.org/Communityarticles_archivesMonth.asp?oMonth=7. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20070930022214/http://www.usmarshals.gov/investigations/catch/2007/01-01-07cow.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 30, 2007. Missing or empty
- http://www.columbiaspectator.com/news/2003/11/21/NewsmanhattanvilleExpansion/Cb9-Agenda.Includes.W.Harlem.Plans.Rats-2035541.shtml. Missing or empty
- http://dr1.com/news/2007/dnews050407.shtml. Missing or empty
- "Virginia girl found eating herself in cage in mobile home; parents Brian and Shannon Gore charged". Daily News. New York.
- "2 High School Students Are Stabbed in Apparent Gang Fight". The New York Times. March 12, 2005. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- . New York Daily News https://web.archive.org/web/20070930055703/http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2006/06/15/2006-06-15_new_york_minute_van_kills_95yearold.html. Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Missing or empty
- "Page Not Found". New York Daily News. 14 April 2005.
- http://gothamist.com/2007/03/06/teen_stabbed_by.php. Missing or empty
- . New York Sun http://www.nysun.com/article/49859?page_no=2. Missing or empty
- . New York Post https://web.archive.org/web/20070126000407/http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082006/news/regionalnews/shock_and_fear_in_union_scare_regionalnews_dan_kadison_and_cynthia_r__fagen.htm. Archived from the original (– Scholar search) on January 26, 2007. Missing or empty
- http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4834376. Missing or empty
- Vasquez, Emily (December 8, 2006). "Trouble Found Them: Two Groups of Restless Teenagers". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4831483. Missing or empty
- http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/478249p-402323c.html. Missing or empty
- https://www.myspace.com/taishawn23. Missing or empty
- . New York Sun http://www.nysun.com/article/49859. Missing or empty
- Albert Amateau (December 2006). "Police Blotter". The Villager. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- . New York Post https://www.nypost.com/seven/12092006/news/regionalnews/union_sq__slay_rap_on_boy__16_regionalnews_laura_italiano_and_laura_blue.htm. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070927183749/www.state.nj.us/njsp/news/pr021804.htm. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Missing or empty
- . New York Post http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm. Missing or empty
- Howard Schwach (June 20, 2008). "A-Train Homicide". Wave of Long Island. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- (PDF) http://www.njcp.us/Article%20about%20emergence%20of%20Trinitarios.pdf. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080828181258/http://www.chelseanow.com/cn_66/stabbingsparks.html. Archived from the original on August 28, 2008. Missing or empty
- (PDF) http://www.american.edu/spa//justice/documents/1971.pdf. Missing or empty
- http://www.knowgangs.com/news/oct07/2801.php. Missing or empty
- https://secure.nypost.com/seven/10282007/news/regionalnews/gangs_of_new_york.htm?&page=7. Missing or empty
- Schweber, Nate (March 15, 2009). "Hospital Told How to Identify and Handle Gang Members". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- Logan, US Bureau of the Census 1999 and 2000 Census of Population and Housing
- https://web.archive.org/web/20061201064903/http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0%2C%2C1922745%2C00.html. Archived from the original on December 1, 2006. Missing or empty
- "Madrid arrests cripples Dominican Don't Play gang". Dominican Today. November 5, 2009. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- . New York Post http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142008/news/regionalnews/schools_gang_scourge_128917.htm. Missing or empty
- http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/090310_Gang_Busts. Missing or empty
- http://www.wpix.com/landing/?blockID=235797&feedID=1404. Missing or empty
- . New York Post http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092008/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm. Missing or empty
- "Teen Gang Responsible for Williamsburg's Weekend Stabbings". 13 July 2008.