|Studio album by David Cook|
|Released||September 18, 2015|
45:03 (Standard Edition)|
57:04 (Deluxe Edition)
|Label||Analog Heart · INgrooves|
|David Cook chronology|
|Singles from David Cook|
Digital Vein is the fourth studio album by American singer-songwriter David Cook. It was released on September 18, 2015, through Cook's Analog Heart Music. The album features tracks co-written by Cook along with well-known songwriters such as Blair Daly, Zac Maloy, Kevin Griffin, Chad Carlson and David Hodges. Digital Vein is Cook's first studio album since he parted ways with RCA Records in 2012. The album will be distributed through a deal with INgrooves Music Group.
Cook began work on his third post-American Idol album in 2012 after parting ways with RCA and relocating to Nashville, Tennessee. Cook stated that working in Nashville opened him up creatively to trying different things and was unsure about whether he would make another record but he decided to write songs, have fun and to see what happens. Digital Vein was recorded in Cook's home studio, where he worked with his longtime friend Andy Skib, who engineered, and the rhythm section from his touring band, playing the bulk of the parts himself. Cook stated that “The whole thing was an experiment to see if (A) I could make a record this way, and (B) if I could enjoy doing it this way. I’m a control freak, and to have this level of control has been empowering. It was definitely a different process for me, but I can’t recall ever having more fun making a record.”
On October 25, 2014, Cook tweeted a photo of himself in the studio and on October 27, 2014, Cook tweeted "So stoked to be sharing this new music with you. Here we go!" along with a link to a new song snippet with the words coming soon.
On May 20, 2015, Cook announced that his upcoming studio album would be made available for pre-order on PledgeMusic. Cook stated that he was "beyond excited" to be working with PledgeMusic and was "intrigued by the opportunity that Pledge offers in bringing fans into the process and partnering with them to bring this record to life."
The album initially had the working title, Mirror Mirror. On the decision to name the album Digital Vein, Cook said, "My last independent record, back in 2006, was Analog Heart, and after my major-label journey, with circumstances being what they are, this record is certainly a progression. I don’t think it’s very much like Analog Heart at all, but the process of putting it together was similar in the sense that I worked with a very small team, and I put a lot of myself into every aspect of it. It felt like a throwback in that regard, so I wanted the two records to be connected, if only in name.”
Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic gave the album 3.5 out of 5 stars stating that "if it's unlikely Cook could bring this brand of mid-2000s mainstream rock into the Top 40 in 2015, he at least delivers an album that satisfies." Markos Papadatos of Digital Journal gave the album an 'A' rating, stating that "he is able to convey a wide spectrum of raw emotions with ease through his sincere storytelling."
The album debuted at No. 35 on Billboard 200, No. 22 on Top Album Sales, No. 8 on Independent Albums and No. 7 on Internet Albums, with 11,000 sold on its debut week.
"Criminals" was released on July 31, 2015 and serves as the lead single from the album. Cook described the song as "lyrically ... a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde, young love against the world," and that it serves as a good synopsis for the record. The song was serviced to American hot adult contemporary radio on September 21, 2015.
"Broken Windows" will be released and serviced to American hot adult contemporary radio on February 22, 2016 as the album's second single.
"Laying Me Low" was released on April 30, 2013 through XIX Recordings, the record label of American Idol creator Simon Fuller. The song charted at number 36 on the Billboard Pop Digital Songs sales chart.
An acoustic version of "Carry You" was released as a digital single from an acoustic EP that's only available on PledgeMusic. It was used as the season premiere of A&E’s Intervention on March 6, 2016.
|1.||"Heartbeat"||David Cook, Andy Waldeck, Chris Reardon||3:36|
|2.||"Criminals"||Cook, Blair Daly||3:38|
|3.||"Broken Windows"||Cook, Zac Maloy, Jerry Flowers||3:03|
|4.||"Laying Me Low"||Cook, Reardon, Waldeck||3:39|
|5.||"Better Than Me"||Chase Foster||3:47|
|6.||"Carry You"||Cook, Daly||4:27|
|7.||"From Here to Zero"||Cook, Maloy||3:43|
|8.||"Kiss & Tell"||Cook, Andy Skib, Waldeck||3:24|
|9.||"Wait for Me"||Cook, Chad Carlson||3:49|
|10.||"I'm Gonna Love You"||Cook, Waldeck, Skib||4:17|
|11.||"Wicked Game"||Chris Isaak||3:45|
|12.||"Home Movies (Over Your Shoulder)"||Cook, Kevin Griffin||3:55|
|13.||"Where Do We Go"||Cook, Skib, Waldeck||4:01|
|14.||"Firing Squad"||Cook, David Hodges, Steven Miller||3:55|
|15.||"But You Won’t"||Cook, Skib||4:25|
|13.||"We're Not In This Alone"||Cook, Skib, Bronson||4:36|
|14.||"Secret Garden"||Bruce Springsteen||4:04|
|15.||"Eyes on You"||Cook, Waldeck, Reardon||3:30|
|Chart (2015)|| Peak|
|US Billboard 200||35|
|US Billboard Pop Albums Chart||4|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||8|
|Australia||September 18, 2015||Analog Heart Music, Inc.||
- "David Cook - 'DIGITAL VEIN' ALBUM RELEASE". Davidcookofficial.com. July 1, 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "'American Idol' Alum David Cook Reveals Release Date for 'Digital Vein' Album". Billboard.com. July 2, 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "AllMusic review".
- "BIO INTERVIEW: DIGITAL VEIN (2015)". Davidcookofficial.com. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- "David Cook Teases Brand New Music!". Misbigblog.com. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- "David Cook New Album Available For Pre-Order at Pledgemusic". Misbigblog.com. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- "New Album". PledgeMusic.com. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- "David Cook Reveals New Album Name and Track List!". Davidcookofficial.com. July 2, 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "David Cook Shares 'Digital Vein' Deluxe Edition Track List!". Davidcookofficial.com. July 2, 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "David Cook - Thanks to the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's...". Facebook. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Digital Vein David Cook Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Review: David Cook charms on new 'Digital Vein' studio album". Digital Journal. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "Billboard.biz". Search under Charts for David Cook
- "Jessica Sanchez". Twitter.
- "David Cook premieres new single 'Criminals'". USA Today. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "David Cook Returns With New Single 'Criminals': Listen". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "'American Idol' Winner David Cook Releases New Song 'Criminals': Listen". Billboard.com. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Hot/Mod/AC Future Releases". All Access Media Group. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- "David Cook New Single "Laying Me Low" – Listen to A Preview (Audio) (Photo) *David Set To Perform on Idol May 2*". Misbigblog.com. July 2, 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "David Cook's new single - WAIT FOR ME - November 17!". Davidcookofficial.com. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "David Cook - Digital Vein". allmusic.com. All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "David Cook – Chart history" Billboard 200 for David Cook. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- "David Cook – Chart history" Billboard Independent Albums for David Cook. Retrieved November 7, 2015.