Derby Tramways Company
|Locale||Derby, Derbyshire, England|
The Derby Tramways Company operated horse-drawn tramway services in Derby from 1880 to 1904.
The registration of the Derby Tramways Company took place in October 1877. The first line opened on 6 March 1880 from the Market Place along St. Peter's Street to Midland Railway station. Further lines on Osmaston Road and Friar Gate lines had a total length of about two and a half miles. The lines were laid by Messrs. Mousley & Co.
The final extensions were opened in 1881 with lines to the Normanton Hotel from The Spot, and Deadman's Lane from London Road.
The initial rolling stock consisted of single-deck cars by Starbuck Car and Wagon Company (Nos. 1-16), and double-deck cars (Nos. 17-18 of 1887 and 19-20 of 1894). The depot was in Friar Gate.
With the Derby Corporation Act of 1899 the Corporation purchased the existing company and on 1 November 1899 took control of the services. A second corporation act in 1901 gave them powers to construct new lines and electrify the existing lines as Derby Corporation Tramways.