Dentsu Aegis Network
Innovating The Way Brands Are Built
|Private limited company|
2013 (Dentsu Aegis Network)|
1966 (Centrale d'achats radio, affichage, télévision)
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Jerry Buhlmann (CEO)|
|Revenue||£1,135.0 million (2011)|
|£197.2 million (2011)|
|£81.1 million (2011)|
Number of employees
|circa 23,000 (2014)|
Dentsu Aegis Network Ltd. is a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London, United Kingdom, and a wholly owned subsidiary of the Japanese advertising and public relations firm Dentsu. Its principal services are communications strategy through digital creative execution, media planning and buying, sports marketing and content creation, brand tracking and marketing analytics. It is organised into ten main divisions: Carat, Dentsu (operations outside Japan), Dentsu media, mcgarrybowen, Merkle, MKTG, Posterscope, Isobar, iProspect and Vizeum. Dentsu Aegis Network manages all the Dentsu inc. owned businesses outside the Japan market, which includes the former Aegis Group business that it acquired in 2013. It also includes 360i, Amplifi, Amnet, The StoryLab, Data2Decisions, Mitchell Communications and psLIVE. It has 35,000 people across 145 countries.
Aegis' origins date back to the founding of the media agency Centrale d'Achats Radio, Affichage, Télévision (Carat) in France in 1966. Formerly listed on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index, Aegis was acquired by the Japan-based advertising group Dentsu in March 2013.
The Carat business can be traced back to the founding in France in 1966 by Gilbert Gross of the media agency Centrale d'achats Radio, Affichage, Télévision (Carat). Carat was the first media independent agency.
WCRS Group was led by Peter Scott—the ‘S’ of WCRS— who went on to found Aegis in 1989 as a separate company based on the original WCRS media buying division which itself was centred on the French media business Carat.
In July 2012 the Japanese advertising company Dentsu agreed to acquire Aegis for £3.16 billion (US$5 billion). Aegis shareholders approved the transaction on 16 August 2012 and the acquisition was completed on 26 March 2013 following receipt of clearance from the anti-trust authorities of China.
Subsidiaries and divisions
- Global Network Brands
- Carat: a media communications specialist.
- Dentsu media: a media communications specialist
- iProspect: a global digital performance marketing agency
- Isobar: a global digital marketing network
- Merkle : performance marketing agency specializing in data-based marketing solutions
- McGarryBowen : a global full service advertising agency
- MKTG: Lifestyle marketing agency
- Posterscope: an out-of-home media specialist
- Vizeum: a media communications specialist
- Specialist/Multi-Market Brands
- Amplifi: the media investment arm of Dentsu Aegis Network
- Data2Decisions: a global marketing effectiveness company
- Mitchell Communications Group: a strategic communications PR firm
- psLive: a global experiential agency
- 360i: a digital communication and performance marketing agency
- Other Brands
- Cardinal Path: digital analytics, data science and performance marketing
- Dentsu Isobar: an interactive agency based in Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- Milestone Brandcom: an out-of-home media specialist
- Story Lab: brand activation and branded content
(this list is not complete)
Dentsu Aegis Network services include:
- Communications strategy and consultancy
- Creative services
- Consumer insight and media research solutions
- Offline and Online media planning and buying
- Data analysis and evaluation
- Digital search management (PPC, SEO)
- Digital consultancy including email, mobile, affiliates and site-build, SEO and digital creative solutions through the Isobar network
- Media sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management
- Branded content - creation, negotiation and management
- Event sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management including bespoke event creation
- Sport sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management
- Customer communications planning
- Advertising forecasting
The company is headed by an Executive Board composed of Tim Andree (Executive Chairman, Dentsu Aegis Network and Director, Executive Vice President, Dentsu Inc.), Jerry Buhlmann (CEO, Dentsu Aegis Network, and Executive Officer of Dentsu Inc.), Kunihiro Matsushima (Vice Chairman of Dentsu Aegis Network and Senior Vice President, Dentsu Inc.), Nick Priday (CFO Dentsu Aegis Network), Nigel Morris (CEO Dentsu Aegis Network Americas and EMEA), Nick Waters (CEO Dentsu Aegis Network Asia Pacific), and other members.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130305041452/http://www.aegisplc.com/investors/reports-and-presentations/2012/q3-2012-ims.aspx. Archived from the original on March 5, 2013. Retrieved February 18, 2016. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140625052429/http://dentsuaegisnetwork.com/who-we-are/at-a-glance.aspx. Archived from the original on June 25, 2014. Retrieved February 18, 2016. Missing or empty
- Simon Marquis, Full service will never be resumed, The Guardian, February 19, 2007
- Caroline Marshall, Ad hoc: Agency warhorses come charging back for buyout, The Daily Telegraph, April 12, 2004
- Dan Sabbagh, Agency finds new power in Engine, The Times, November 18, 2005
- "History of AEGIS GROUP PLC – FundingUniverse". Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Aegis sold to Dentsu to create global digital media giant". BBC News. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Aegis agrees £3.16bn cash offer from Dentsu". The Daily Telegraph. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Japan's Dentsu to Acquire Aegis Group for $4.9 billion". AdAge. 12 July 2012.
- "Dentsu Completes Aegis Acquisition". Adweek. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150808182528/http://www.dentsu.com/global/index.html. Archived from the original on August 8, 2015. Retrieved February 18, 2016. Missing or empty
- "Our Brands". Dentsu Aegis Network. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Our Networks". Dentsu Aegis Network. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Story". Company web site. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Pritha Mitra Dasgupta. "Dentsu Aegis buys controlling stake in OOH firm Milestone Brandcom - timesofindia-economictimes". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Carat predicts positive outlook in 2016 with global growth of +4.7% and US$25 billion upsurge in advertising spend". Dentsuaegisnetwork.com. 2015-09-21. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Our Business Leaders Profiles". Dentsuaegisnetwork.com. 2010-05-01. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Dentsu Aegis Network
- Dentsu Aegis Network India
- Dentsu Media
- Mitchell Communications Group
- Story Lab