Current logo since 2016 after merged
Dell Headquarters in Round Rock, Texas
|Founded||February 1, 1984 (as Dell)|
|Headquarters||Round Rock, Texas, U.S.|
(Founder, Chairman & CEO)
|Revenue||US$54.9 billion (2016)|
|Owner||Dell Client Solutions Group|
Number of employees
Dell (stylized as DELL) is an American multinational technology company. A subsidiary of Dell Technologies, the company is based in Round Rock, Texas, United States, that develops, sells, repairs, and supports computers and related products and services. Eponymously named after founder Michael Dell, the company is one of the largest technological corporations in the world, employing more than 103,300 people worldwide.
Merger of Dell and EMC
On October 12, 2015, Dell announced its intent to acquire the enterprise software and storage company EMC Corporation. At $67 billion, it has been labeled the "highest-valued tech acquisition in history". On January 2016, Dell joined the Wireless Power Consortium, a technology consortium that develops Qi, as the 235th member of the consortium.
The acquisition was finalized September 7, 2016 After the merge of the original Dell Inc. and EMC Corporation, it was created into a new holding company named Dell Technologies, with subsidiaries of the original Dell and EMC Corporation becoming subsidiaries of the new company. The restructuring process was similar to Alphabet and Google. Dell Technologies became Dell Inc., taking the name of the original company, while the computer technology products and services would become a subsidiary, simply named Dell.
Founder Michael Dell said in an interview with Fortune "we want to innovate on behalf of customers, and that is a challenge for many public companies—particularly if they don't have the right portfolio. What's unique about Dell, EMC, Virtustream, Pivotal, Secureworks, RSA, etc., is we'll pull together the best capabilities and we're private so we can do that on a longer-term time horizon. Other companies are out there selling off pieces and are in some form of distress one way or another."
- "Dell Company Profile". Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- "2015 annual results". Forbes.
- "Form 10-K Annual Report Pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 for the Fiscal Year Ended February 3, 2012 Commission File Number: 0-17017 Dell Inc.". i.dell.com. Dell Inc. March 13, 2012. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "Dell agrees $67bn EMC takeover". BBC News. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Womack, Brian; Bass, Dina. "Dell to Buy EMC in Deal Worth About $67 Billion". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2015-10-12.
- Corda, Victor (9 January 2016). "Dell Joins WPC to support Qi Wireless Charging". QiWireless.com. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Dell finalizes EMC takeover". Twitter. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- Darrow, Barb (7 September 2016). "Meet Michael Dell's New Tech Behemoth". Fortune. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Burt, Jeffrey (11 September 2016). "Dell, HPE CEOs Debate the Merits of Their Strategies". eWeek. Retrieved 11 September 2016.