|Chair of Young Fabians|
Nov 2009 – Nov 2010
|Preceded by||Kate Groucutt|
|Succeeded by||Adrian Prandle|
|Born||11 March 1983|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
Background and positions held
In 2010 he was elected to the Fabian Society Executive Committee.
He was a member of the Young Fabians Executive since 2006 and held roles including Vice Chair in 2008/9 and Chair in 2009/10. As Policy & Communications Officer, Chaplin set up the Young Fabian Policy Forums at an event in the City with Lord Drayson the former Science Minister.
Chaplin wrote a regular 'Young Progressives' column for Progress, and for the Young Fabian Blog. As well as the grass-roots Labour website LabourList where he has written about online campaigning and new media.
Chaplin was tipped as part of the next generation of the Labour Party by the national newspaper The Independent after featuring on the front-cover of Esquire alongside other young leading lights in the Labour Party such as Chuka Umunna. Chaplin also appeared in the top ten young ones to watch in the Independent on Sunday alongside Jessica Asato, another former Chair of the Young Fabians .
Chaplin has been published in the magazine of the New Labour pressure group and think-tank Progress, he wrote a controversial article for the Progress magazine on the opium trade in Afghanistan titled 'the parallel state'.
In 2009 Chaplin co-edited a pamphlet for the Fabian Society with Labour Party activist and former parliamentary candidate Claire Leigh, titled 'Fast Forward: The Next Generation of Progressive Politics' which featured contributions from young politicians including Conor McGinn.
In 2010 the Young Fabians marked their fiftieth year by holding an event with Lord Mandelson at the Fabian Society New Year Conference. The Young Fabians also guest edited the grass-roots Labour website LabourList for a day to mark their fiftieth year anniversary
- Fabian Society Executive Committee website
- Welcome to the Launch of the Young Fabians Networks
- Lord Drayson keynote speaker at the Young Fabians Network launch
- Young Progressives column
- Articles by David Chaplin on the Young Fabian Blog
- Articles by David Chaplin on the LabourList website
- Can you spot a future Labour leader? The Independent
- Independent on Sunday - Labour's young ones on the move: 10 names to watch
- Britain and Afghanistan article
- Fast Forward Fabian Pamphlet
- Lord Mandelson speaks to the Young Fabians
- Young Fabians take over LabourList
- Young Fabians Blog
- Fast Forward pamphlet
- David Chaplin on Twitter
- Young Fabians website
- David Chaplin on LabourList
- Young Fabians YouTube
|Party political offices|
|Chair of the Young Fabians
2009 – 2010
| Succeeded by|