|Member of the Utah Senate|
from the 12th district
Assumed office |
January 1, 2011
|Preceded by||Brent H. Goodfellow|
|Residence||West Valley City, Utah|
Personal Life, Education, and Career
Senator Thatcher began his political pursuits when he Co-founded the Salt Lake County Young Republicans. He was the chapter's first chair. He is also a co-founder of West Side Matters and has held various elected positions in the Salt Lake County Republican Party.
- 2010 To challenge incumbent Democratic Senator Brent H. Goodfellow, Thatcher was selected by the Republican convention from two candidates for the November 2, 2010 General election, which he won with 9,432 votes (53.25%) against Senator Goodfellow.
- Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations Subcommittee (Senate Chair)
- Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee
- Retirement and Independent Entities Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Government Operations and Political Subdivisions Committee
- Senate Health and Human Services Committee
- Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee
- Senate Retirement and Independent Entities Committee
2016 sponsored bills
|Bill Number and Title||Bill Status|
|S.B. 94 Law Enforcement Use of Body Cameras||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 124 Gang Enhancement Provision Amendments||Governor Signed 3/21/2016|
|S.B. 157 Pawnshop Amendments||Senate/To Governor 3/17/2016|
|S.B. 187 Reclassification of Misdemeanors||Governor Signed 3/25/2016|
In 2015, the School Safety and Crisis Line legislation (SB 175), sponsored by Thatcher and Rep. Steve Eliason, passed the Utah State Legislature designating UNI as the crisis provider and an active commission, chaired out of the attorney general’s office, for implementation. Thatcher chose to sponsor the legislation after recognizing the statewide epidemic that had personally impacted him numerous times throughout his life.
- "Thatcher, Daniel W.". Salt Lake City, Utah: Utah State Legislature. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Daniel Thatcher's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- "Daniel Thatcher Facebook". Salt Lake City, Utah. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Thatcher, Daniel W.". Salt Lake City, Utah: Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "2010 General Election Results". Salt Lake City, Utah: Lieutenant Governor of Utah. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "District 12 Senator - Utah State Senate". senate.utah.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "Daniel W. Thatcher - Ballotpedia". ballotpedia.org. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "SafeUT Crisis, Safety Tipline unveiled for Utah students".
- Official page at the Utah State Legislature
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Daniel W. Thatcher at Ballotpedia
- Daniel W. Thatcher at the National Institute on Money in State Politics
- Senator Daniel Thatcher at Thatcher for Senate 12