D. J. Bartholomew
David John Bartholomew FBA (born 6 August 1931) is a British statistician who was President of the Royal Statistical Society between 1993 and 1995. He was Professor of Statistics at the London School of Economics between 1973 and 1996.
Bartholomew began his career as a scientist at the National Coal Board in 1955. In 1957 he became a Lecturer in Statistics at the University of Keele, before his appointment as a Senior Lecturer at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Bartholomew was appointed Professor of Statistics at the University of Kent in 1967 before being made Professor of Statistics at the London School of Economics in 1973, a position he held until 1996. He was Emeritus Professor (Pro-Director) between 1988 and 1991.
Bartholomew was President of the Royal Statistical Society, 1993–95 (Hon. Sec., 1976–82; Treas., 1989–93). He was Vice-President of the Manpower Society (1987–95) and was Chairman of the Science and Religion Forum between 1997 and 2000.
Bartholomew was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1987.
In 1955 Bartholomew married Marian Elsie Lake, and they have two daughters. Bartholomew has debated atheist physicist Victor Stenger on whether or not God is a failed hypothesis.
- With S.E. Finer and H.B. Berrington Backbench Opinion in the House of Commons, 1955-1959. Oxford: Pergamon Press;
- Stochastic Models for Social Processes, 1967, 3rd edn 1982; ISBN 0-471-28040-2
- With E.E. Bassett, Let's Look at the Figures: the quantitative approach to human affairs, Harmondsworth Middlesex: Penguin books (Dutch translation, 1971)
- (jtly) Statistical Inference Under Order Restrictions
- 1972; (jtly) Statistical Techniques for Manpower Planning, 1979, 2nd edn 1991
- Mathematical Methods in Social Science, 1981
- God of Chance, 1984;
- Latent Variable Models and Factor Analysis, 1987, 2nd edn (jtly) 1999;
- Uncertain Belief, 1996;
- The Statistical Approach to Social Measurement, 1996;
- (jtly) The Analysis and Interpretation of Multivariate Data for Social Scientists, 2002, 2nd edn 2008;
- Measuring Intelligence: facts and fallacies, 2004
- Measurement (4 vols), 2006
- God, Chance and Purpose, Cambridge University Press 2008 ISBN 978-0-521-70708-4
Notes and references
- Who Was Who, Published by A&C Black Limited, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920-2014; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014; online edn, April 2014
- "BARTHOLOMEW, David John (born 1931), Professor of Statistics, London School of Economics, 1973–96, then Emeritus (Pro-Director, 1988–91)". oup.com. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Bedford Modern School of the Black And Red, Andrew Underwood 1981; updated 2010
- BARTHOLOMEW, Prof. David John’, Who's Who 2009, A & C Black, 2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2008 accessed 18 Aug 2009