Culinary arts, in which culinary means "related to cooking", is the art of the preparation, cooking and presentation of food, usually in the form of meals. People working in this field – especially in establishments such as restaurants – are commonly called "chefs" or "cooks", although, at its most general, the terms "culinary artist" and "culinarian" are also used. Table manners ("the table arts") are sometimes referred to as a culinary art.
Culinarians are required to have knowledge of food science, nutrition and diet and are responsible for preparing meals that are as pleasing to the eye as well as to the palate. After restaurants, their primary places of work include delicatessens and relatively large institutions such as hotels and hospitals.
Below is a list of the wide variety of culinary arts occupations.
- Consulting and Design Specialists – Work with restaurant owners in developing menus, the layout and design of dining rooms, and service protocols.
- Restaurant management – Manage a restaurant, cafeteria, hotel dining area, etc.
- Food and Beverage Controller – Purchase and source ingredients in large hotels as well as manage the stores and stock control.
- Entrepreneurship – Deepen and invest in businesses, such as bakeries, restaurants, or specialty foods (such as chocolates, cheese, etc.).
- Food and Beverage Managers – Manage all food and beverage outlets in hotels and other large establishments.
- Food Stylists and Photographers – Work with magazines, books, catalogs, and other media to make food visually appealing.
- Food Writers and Food Critics – Communicate with the public on food trends, chefs and restaurants through newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books. Notables in this field include Julia Child, Craig Claiborne, and James Beard.
- Research and Development Kitchens – Develop new products for commercial manufacturers and may also work in test kitchens for publications, restaurant chains, grocery chains, or others.
- Sales – Introduce chefs and business owners to new products and equipment relevant to food production and service.
- Instructors – Teach aspects of culinary arts in high school, vocational schools, colleges, recreational programs, and for specialty businesses (for example, the professional and recreational courses in baking at King Arthur Flour).
Notable culinary colleges around the world
- School of Tourism and Hospitality, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- International Hotel School, Cape Town, Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Stenden University,International Hospitality Management, Port Alfred South Africa
- Hotel and Tourism School for Cape Verde, Praia, Cape Verde.
- Capiscum, Cape Town, South African
- Kenya Utalii College, Nairobi, Kenya
- National Hotel & Tourism Training Institute, NHTTI, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- International School for Culinary Arts and Hotel Management, ISCAHM, Quezon City, Philippines
- Tadmor School of Hoteliery, Herzliya, Israel
- JaganNath Institute of Management Sciences, Rohini, Delhi, India
- Cuilnary & Hotel Institute of Pakistan, CHIP, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
- College of Tourism & Hotel Management, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
- Culinary Academy of India, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
- ITM School of Culinary Arts, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- IHM-A Institute of Hotel Management Aurangabad, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
- Welcome Group Academy of Culinary Arts Manipal,karnataka India
- IHM-Mumbai Institute of Hotel Management Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Academy of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Global Academy of Tourism & Hospitality Education, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Lincoln University College, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Apicius Culinary Arts and Hotel Management, Inc., Parañaque, Philippines
- College of Hotel & Culinary Arts, Woosong University, Korea
- National Hotel Institute now became Sekolah Tinggi Pariwisata Bandung, Bandung Indonesia
- Magsaysay Center of Hospitality and Culinary Arts, Taft Avenue, Ermita, Manila, Philippines
- Culinary Institute of Bologna, Bologna
- Mama Isa's Cooking School of Padua, Padua, Veneto region Italy
- École des trois gourmandes, Paris, France
- HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria
- Institute Paul Bocuse, Ecully, France
- Mutfak Sanatları Akademisi (The Academy of the Culinary Arts), İstanbul, Turkey
- School of Culinary Arts and Food Technology, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland
- Apicius International School of Hospitality, Florence, Italy
- Westminster Kingsway College (London)
- Le Cordon Bleu (Paris, London and Madrid)
- University of Gastronomic Sciences, Bra, Italy
Latin America and Caribbean
- Academia de Artes Culinarias de Guatemala, Guatemala
- Instituto de Banca y Comercio, Puerto Rico
- Trinidad and Tobago Hospitality and Tourism Institute, Trinidad and Tobago
- Instituto Culinario de México, México
- Mache de tato, Haiti
- Ciboulette Haute cuisine, (Venezuela)
- Columbia College (Virginia) (Fairfax County, Virginia)
- Camosun College (Victoria, BC)
- Culinary Institute of Canada (Charlottetown, PE)
- Georgian College (Owen Sound, ON)
- George Brown College (Toronto, ON)
- Humber College (Toronto, ON)
- Sault College (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)
- St. Clair College (Windsor, Ontario)
- Vancouver Community College (Vancouver, BC)
- Baltimore International College, Baltimore, Maryland
- Culinard, the Culinary Institute of Virginia College
- Culinary Institute of America
- International Culinary Centers in New York and California
- Johnson & Wales University, College of Culinary Arts
- Kendall College in Chicago, Illinois
- Lincoln College of Technology
- Manchester Community College in Connecticut
- New England Culinary Institute in Vermont
- Pennsylvania Culinary Institute
- The Pennsylvania School of Culinary Arts, Lancaster, Pennsylvania,
- The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Sullivan University Louisville, Kentucky
- Los Angeles Trade–Technical College
- Texas Culinary Academy
- Bellingham Technical College (Bellingham, Washington)
- AUT University (Auckland University of Technology)
- MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology)
- Wintec, Waikato Institute of Technology
- Le Cordon Bleu (locations in 20 countries)
- "Cooking Schools 101." Cooking Schools. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2013.
- "History." Of Culinary Archives & Museum. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2013.
- "History of Culinary." Culinary Arts information RSS. N.p.,nd. web.17 Sept.2013
- "History of Culinary Arts." Culinary Arts Information RSS. N.p,. web. 17 Sept.2013
- "The Culinary Timeline." The Culinary Timeline. N.p,.web. 17 Sept. 2013
- The Food Timeline
- Beal, Eileen. Choosing a career in the restaurant industry. New York: Rosen Pub. Group, 1997.
- Institute for Research. Careers and jobs in the restaurant business: jobs, management, ownership. Chicago: The Institute, 1977.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Culinary art.|
|Look up Culinary in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- U.S. Department of Labor – Food Service Manager Information.
- Culinary Art
- - The Culinary Institute of Bologna – Chefs, Head Cooks, and Food Preparation Chef Training Classes Information.]
- U.S Department of Labor – Chefs, Head Cooks, and Food Preparation and Serving Supervisors Information.
- Culinary Documentaries