Crouse College, Syracuse University
|Location||Syracuse, New York|
|Coordinates||43°2′18.51″N 76°8′14.08″W / 43.0384750°N 76.1372444°WCoordinates: 43°2′18.51″N 76°8′14.08″W / 43.0384750°N 76.1372444°W|
Romanesque revival—Richardsonian Romanesque|
|NRHP Reference #|
|Added to NRHP||July 30, 1974|
Crouse College, also known as Crouse Memorial College and historically as John Crouse Memorial College for Women, is a building on the Syracuse University campus. It was funded by John R. Crouse, an "enormously wealthy Syracuse banker". The architect, Archimedes Russell, was charged with coming up with a spectacular building, and used the Romanesque revival—Richardsonian Romanesque style.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Crouse College was home to the first College of Fine Arts in the United States and now is known for both its College of Visual and Performing Arts and the Rose, Jules R., and Stanford S. Setnor School of Music.
The first cornerstone for the new college was laid in June 1888, and the building was completed in September 1889. The building cost almost half a million dollars and was a gift from local merchant and banker, John Crouse, and his son, D. Edgar Crouse. The elder Crouse was a trustee of the university and built the college as a memorial to his wife. The architect, Archimedes Russell, exceeded the original budget.
The building was intended for use as a women's college and was originally named the John Crouse Memorial College for Women; however, John Crouse died during its construction and his son opened the institution for use by both men and women.
The structure is supported by a "stout" granite foundation and the exterior is covered with Longmeadow brownstone. Architectural details include high roofs, gables, dormer windows and rounded arches. The interior is "distinctively" Romanesque and carved hardwood woodwork designs, representative of the period, are displayed throughout.
Sculpture and stained glass
Winged Victory, a sculpture that was modeled after the original, which was discovered in the Mediterranean Sea and since moved to the Louvre, is located at the bottom of the main staircase. The building also contains stained glass "associated with religious subject matter and spiritual renewal." The stained glass was designed by Richard Wolff, a former faculty member, and students from the college’s School of Art and Design and was installed in 1970.
An auditorium seating about 700 people was included, although intended at first as a chapel. There is a pipe organ in the auditorium which is one of America's most important historic instruments. It represents a style of American organ building that flourished in the mid-20th century and is closely associated with builder Walter Holtkamp. It is widely considered to be his magnum opus.
Today, Crouse College houses Syracuse University's College of Visual and Performing Arts. Chiefly, its classrooms and auditorium are at the service of the Setnor School of Music.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Brooks, Cornelia E. (March 1974). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Crouse College / John Crouse Memorial College for Women". Retrieved 2008-01-09. and Accompanying 3 photos, exterior and interior, from 1973
- "History of Crouse College". Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts, 2011. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crouse College.|
- Crouse Memorial College, at Syracuse Then and Now
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-6195, "John R. Crouse College, Syracuse University, Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page