Crosville Motor Services (Weston-super-Mare)
|Fleet||circa 30 (2013)|
Crosville Motor Services is a bus and coach operator based in Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, England. It operates both contract hire and stage carriage services with a fleet of modern and heritage vehicles.
The original Crosville Motor Services was a major bus operator, covering Mid and North Wales and North West England. The name fell out of use after that company was privatised but has been resurrected by this new operator. Some of the heritage fleet were once used by the original Crosville.
Although contract and private hire work had been undertaken previously, Crosville's first four commercial bus routes commenced operation in April 2012. These included routes from Weston-super-Mare to Sand Bay and Burnham-on-Sea, also a sea front tour to Uphill which was operated by heritage buses on summer Sundays and public holidays.
In July 2015, Somerset Passenger Solutions a 50/50 joint venture with First Somerset & Avon was announced as the preferred bidder to operate services during the construction of EDF Energy's Hinkley Point C nuclear power station which at its peak will require 160 buses. These will be operated by Southern National which revived the name of another former National Bus Company subsidiary.
In January 2012 the fleet comprised 25 vehicles including modern coaches and the heritage fleet. To operate its first four commercial services it added two Dennis Dart single deck buses and a part-open top Leyland Olympian from Xelabus, Eastleigh, also two Optare Solos and a Mercedes-Benz 811D minibus from Blue Iris Coaches, Nailsea. Some examples are illustrated below.
- Sunsundegui Sideral coach in Taunton in 2012
- Plaxton Pointer II bodied Dennis Dart SLF in Weston-super-Mare in 2013
- Plaxton Primo in Westons-super-Mare 2015
- ECW bodied Bristol L
- ECW bodied Bristol LD
- ECW bodied Bristol FS
- ECW bodied Bristol FSF
- ECW bodied Bristol FLF
- Companies House extract company no 5706548 Crosville Motor Services Limited
- Companies House extract company no 248119 North British Bus Limited formerly Crosville Motor Services Limited
- "News". Crosville Motor Services. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Crosville awarded 2 new routes Crosville Motor Services 9 April 2013
- Find out more about the south west businesses that will benefit from Hinkley Point C EDF Energy 31 July 2015
- Crosville & First Bus win contract to provide bus services to HPC Crosville Motors 31 July 2015
- "In Brief" Buses Magazine issue 726 September 2015 page 7
- Companies House extract company no 9795174 Southern National Limited
- About us Southern National website
- You think green Southern National buses no longer run in Somerset? Watch this space Chard & Ilminster News 6 February 2016
- Southern National Returns Bus & Coach Buyer issue 1365 12 February 2016 page 9
- Wilcox, Tracy (14 November 2011). "Coach firm offers vintage bus hire service". coachbroker.co.uk. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "Revised Crosville challenges First". Buses. Key Publishing (687): 10, 54. June 2012.