Croghan, County Roscommon
It is situated centrally between the Towns of Boyle, Elphin & Carrick.on Shannon.Population 300. The Village dates from the late 1700s and was set up by then local Landlord Lloyd. The Lloyd family were granted the lands of Croghan which originally were owned by the Mcdermott,s in 1680. Lloyd built first house in 1700s where GAA Club Rooms now stand, and in 1830 built a larger mansion nearby. Croghan village consisted of 30 houses all facing east towards big house in a North south direction the only building on the other side of street was Donnellan's shop 1765, which in 1796 became the Roman Catholic Church. Croghan is now the Parish name for this area incorporating the old parishes of Killukin Killumod Tumna Kilcola & Estersnow. These being monastic sites dating back up to 1500 years. Croghan was a progressive agriculture area and under encouragement of Guy Lloyd fairs were set up after Trinity Sunday and 28th October, which were famous through out west of Ireland for Croghan Shorthorn and continued till 1970. In 1898, the Croghan Co Operative Creamery was set up, being the second in Connacht and it flourished for 90 years. Currently, Croghan is still flourishing with a 6 teacher National school, three new estates, and a very active community tidy towns etc. In 1861, the imposing Church of Ireland was opened and the Creamery is now lovely centre for the community. The Shannon Gaels GAA Club have fine developed facility with sports ground and meeting rooms that caters for the sporting needs of the Community. They have won titles at every grade in mens and ladies in County Roscommon and were Co senior champions of Roscommon in 1964.
Famous people: John Beirne TD 1943/61. Bishop Fulton Sheen 1896/1979 grandson of Bridget Fulton Croghan. William Trevor(Cox) 1928/2016 Author, son of Croghan man. President Mary McAleese, daughter of Croghan man.
Reference Books: History Shannon Gaels GAA 1985 -Chronicle 19th Century by Thomas Mullaney. Parish Survey 1816 WS Mason by Archbishop Digby.
St Remix of Croghan