Crime in Ukraine
Crime by type
Corruption is a widespread and growing problem in Ukrainian society. In 2014's Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index Ukraine was ranked 142nd out of the 175 countries investigated (tied with Uganda and the Comoros).
Bribes are given to ensure that public services are delivered either in time or at all. Ukrainians stated they give bribes because they think it is customary and expected. According to a 2008 Management Systems International (MSI) sociological survey, the highest corruption levels were found in vehicle inspection (57.5%), the police (54.2%), health care (54%), the courts (49%) and higher education (43.6%). On June 8, 2011 Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych stated that corruption costs the state budget US$2.5 billion in revenues annually and that through corrupt dealings in public procurement 10% to 15% (US$7.4 billion) of the state budget "ends up in the pockets of officials".
According to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the main causes of corruption in Ukraine are a weak justice system and an over-controlling non-transparent government combined with business-political ties and a weak civil society. Corruption is regularly discussed in the Ukrainian media.
- Global Study on Homicide. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 2013.
- UAH 1.5 b in budget funds embezzled since year-start, interior minister says, Interfax-Ukraine (June 18, 2009)
- Ukrainians Pessimistic about Country’s Future; Confidence in Political Leaders Falling, International Foundation for Electoral Systems (September 13, 2011)
- Ukraine remains most corrupt country in Europe - Transparency International, Interfax-Ukraine (3 December 2014)
- Corruption, Democracy, and Investment in Ukraine, Atlantic Council (October 2007)
- Press release, 10th International Anti-Corruption Conference (2001)
- Global Corruption Report 2008, Transparency International, Chapter 7.4, p. 280.
- Under Yanukovych, Ukraine slides deeper in ranks of corrupt nations, Kyiv Post (1 December 2011)
- CORRUPTION ASSESSMENT: UKRAINE, USAID (February 10, 2006)
- Shuster Live – How to fight with corruption in Ukraine. Consequences of corruption in an army – 2, UkrainaTV.com
- Corruption Plague Kyiv Post (June 25, 2009).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crime in Ukraine.|