Crest Hill, Illinois
|Crest Hill, Illinois|
City Hall - Fall 2011
|Official name: City of Crest Hill|
|Coordinates||41°33′52″N 88°6′31″W / 41.56444°N 88.10861°WCoordinates: 41°33′52″N 88°6′31″W / 41.56444°N 88.10861°W|
|Area||9.17 sq mi (24 km2)|
|- land||9.03 sq mi (23 km2)|
|- water||0.14 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,861.2/sq mi (719/km2)|
|Date||Incorporated, January 22, 1960|
|Government||Mayor and City Council|
|- location||1610 Plainfield Road, Crest Hill, IL 60403, Will County, Illinois|
|Mayor||Raymond R. Soliman|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Crest Hill, Illinois|
| Website: www|
Crest Hill is located at 41°33′52″N 88°6′31″W / 41.56444°N 88.10861°W (41.5645, -88.1089). Crest Hill decided to incorporate itself to avoid being annexed by the City of Joliet and became officially incorporated as the City of Crest Hill January 22, 1960.
According to the 2010 census, Crest Hill has a total area of 9.166 square miles (23.74 km2), of which 9.03 square miles (23.39 km2) (or 98.52%) is land and 0.136 square miles (0.35 km2) (or 1.48%) is water.
At the 2000 census, there were 13,329 people, 4,478 households and 2,758 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,861.2 per square mile (718.8/km²). There were 4,808 housing units at an average density of 671.4 per square mile (259.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 69.4% (White Non-Hispanic) 19.6% (African American), 8.8% (Hispanic), 3.2% (Other), 1.4% (Two or more races), .5% (American Indian). Total can be more than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races.
There were 4,478 households of which 30.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.1% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 3.00.
18.9% of the population were under the age of 18, 13.6% from 18 to 24, 41.2% from 25 to 44, 17.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 147.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 157.8 males.
The median household income was $45,313 and the median family income was $54,709. Males had a median income of $41,715 compared with $27,667 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,317. About 2.6% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those age 65 or over.
A significant portion of the population resides at Stateville Correctional Center (see below). The 2010 U.S. Census Bureau data states that 3,160 residents of Crest Hill (15.2% of the population) are institutionalized.
Government and infrastructure
Elementary school districts include:
Most of Crest Hill is zoned to Lockport Township High School.
- Ron Coomer, Major League Baseball player and broadcaster
- John Wayne Gacy, serial killer, executed at Stateville prison in Crest Hill
- Richard Loeb, convicted killer of Leopold and Loeb case, was murdered by a fellow inmate at Stateville prison in Crest Hill
- Richard Speck, mass murderer, was imprisoned at Stateville and died at a hospital in Joliet
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Crest Hill city, IL." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Stateville Correctional Center Archived August 28, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.." Illinois Department of Corrections. Retrieved October 27, 2012. "Business Mail: 16830 So. Broadway St. P.O. Box 112 Joliet, IL 60434 "
- Smith, Sid. "John Wayne Gacy, the country's worst serial killer." Chicago Tribune. (Article shows the date December 22, 1978, but it also mentions "He was executed at the Stateville Correctional Center in Joliet in 1994.") Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Lockport Township High School District 205" (Archive). Will County Regional Office of Education. Retrieved on July 30, 2015.
- "Ron Coomer Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved October 30, 2012.