Communist Party of Ukraine (renewed)
The Communist Party of Ukraine (renewed) (Ukrainian: Комуністична партія України (оновлена); Komunistyčna Partija Ukraïny (onovlena)) is a banned political party in Ukraine, formed in November 2000 following a split from the Communist Party of Ukraine (KPU). KPU(o) is led by Mykhaylo Savenko, previously a member of Parliament of the pro-president Kuchma Labour Ukraine. On 30 September 2015 the District Administrative Court in Kiev banned the party.
At the legislative elections on 30 March 2002, the party won 1.4% of the popular vote and no seats. despite the fact that only six other parties spent more on their election campaign. In the 30 September 2007 elections, the party garnered only 0.29% of the popular vote.
In May 2015, laws that ban communist symbols came into effect in Ukraine, thus banning communist symbols, singing the Soviet national hymn or the Internationale. Because of these laws the Ukrainian Interior Ministry stripped the party of its right to participate in elections on 24 July 2015 and it stated it was continuing the court actions (that started in July 2014) to end the registration of Ukraine’s communist parties. The party did not challenge this ban and was thus on 30 September 2015 terminated by the District Administrative Court in Kiev.
- (Ukrainian) Комуністична партія України (оновлена), sd.net
- The European Union and Democratization: Reluctant States (Europe and the Nation State) by Paul Kubicek, Routledge, ISBN 978-0-415-31136-6, page 171
- Ukraine Political Parties, GlobalSecurity.org
- (Ukrainian) The court banned the two Communist parties, Ukrayinska Pravda (1 October 2015)
Kyiv’s Court terminates two Communist parties, Ukrinform (1 October 2015)
- Archived April 15, 2005, at the Wayback Machine.
- Virtual Politics - Faking Democracy in the Post-Soviet World, Andrew Wilson, Yale University Press, 2005, ISBN 0-300-09545-7 page 256
- (Ukrainian) Results of voting in single constituencies in 2012 Archived November 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. & Nation-wide list, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- Ukraine Bars Communists From Elections, Radio Free Europe (24 July 2015)
- Alphabetical Index of parties in 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- "Ukraine bans Soviet symbols and criminalises sympathy for communism". The Guardian. May 21, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Ukraine's Justice Ministry outlaws Communists from elections, Kyiv Post, (24 July 2015)
Justice Ministry bans three communist parties from taking part in election process as they violate Ukrainian law - minister, Interfax-Ukraine, (24 July 2015)