Columbus Circle (Syracuse, New York)
County Courthouse at Columbus Circle
|Location||Syracuse, New York|
|Coordinates||43°2′48.6″N 76°8′56.7″W / 43.046833°N 76.149083°WCoordinates: 43°2′48.6″N 76°8′56.7″W / 43.046833°N 76.149083°W|
|Area||0.160 acres (0.00065 km2)|
|Governing body||City of Syracuse|
Location of Columbus Circle in the US
Columbus Circle is a neighborhood and plaza in the downtown section of Syracuse, New York. Columbus Monument was designed by the Syracuse-born architect, Dwight James Baum in 1934. Columbus Circle is home to Syracuse's two cathedrals, the Episcopalian St. Paul's Cathedral and the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. As well as County Court House and the County's John H. Mulroy Civic Center, home of the Onondaga County Government.
The small park was originally a traffic circle surrounded by Victorian era homes. Columbus Circle was first known as Library Circle (1895) and later as St. Mary's Circle (1901). It was designed in 1934 by Dwight James Baum and is located at Onondaga Avenue, East Jefferson Street and Montgomery Street in Syracuse, New York.
Over the years, many properties that bordered the circle were razed and a new courthouse and library were constructed. The traffic circle underwent several design changes, the most significant, in 1934, when the statue of Christopher Columbus and associated fountain were erected. At that time, the circle was paved over which closed the area to through traffic.
The statue, sculpted by Lorenzo Baldo, is surrounded by buildings designed by renowned architects such as Archimedes Russell, Melvin King, James Randall and Michael O'Connor. The circle is listed in both the National Register and Local Preservation District.