Collaborative International Dictionary of English
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English (CIDE) was derived from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary and has been supplemented with some of the definitions from WordNet. It is being proof-read and supplemented by volunteers from around the world.
This electronic dictionary is also made available as a potential starting point for development of a modern comprehensive encyclopedic dictionary, to be accessible freely on the Internet, and developed by the efforts of all individuals willing to help build a large and freely available knowledge base.
There are several derivative versions of this dictionary on the Internet, in some cases reformatted or provided with an interface:
- Project Gutenberg, in the etext96 directory
- The DICT development group
- The GNU project's GCIDE
- The University of Chicago ARTFL Project
- ARTFL Project's online Webster's 1913 edition
- GCIDE_XML The GNU version of CIDE presented in the Extensible Markup Language (XML).