Allen with the Cleveland Indians
|Cleveland Indians – No. 37|
Born: November 20, 1988|
|July 20, 2012, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||2.61|
Early life and career
Allen played high school baseball at William R. Boone High School in Orlando, Florida and college baseball at the University of Central Florida, St. Petersburg College and High Point University. He was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 23rd round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft. The following year he became the second ballplayer from High Point to make the major leagues.
Allen spent 2011 with four teams in the Indians' farm system, but spent the majority of the season with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, going 3-1 with a 2.14 ERA in 14 games. The following year he spent most of the season with the Columbus Clippers, going 3-2 with a 2.27 ERA in 24 games. He was named the Cleveland Indians' Minor League Pitcher of the Year after the season.
On July 20, 2012, Allen made his Major League debut for the Cleveland Indians after being called up from Triple-A Columbus Clippers. He pitched an inning of relief giving up two walks, no runs, no hits and one strikeout. He struck out Baltimore Orioles third baseman Mark Reynolds for his first career strikeout.
After multiple struggles by former closer John Axford early in the 2014 season, Allen was moved into the closer role in May 2014. Allen finished the season with 76 appearances, a 6-4 record with a 2.07 ERA, 91 strikeouts, and 24 saves in 69.2 innings
For 2015, Allen pitched in 70 games, leading the American League with 58 games finished, while recording 34 saves, 99 strikeouts and a 2.99 ERA in 69 1⁄3 innings.
- "With World Series on tap, Orlando native thrives as Cleveland Indians' closer".
- Meisel, Zack (21 July 2012). "Allen throws scoreless frame in debut". Mlb.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Cody Allen Stats, Video Highlights, Photos, Bio". MLB.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Cody Allen promoted to the Cleveland Indians". Highpointpanthers.com. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Thome hits homer No. 610, Orioles top Indians 10-2". Yahoo! Sports. Associated Press. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)