Co-op Legal Services
(Head of Family Law)
(Head of Conveyancing)
(Head of Wills)
(Head of Personal Injury)
(Marketing & BD Director)
(Head of IT)
(Head of Probate Advisory & Consultancy)
(Head of Probate Operations)
Number of employees
|Parent||The Co-operative Group|
Co-op Legal Services is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Co-operative Group in the United Kingdom. It was established in 2006 and has its head office in Manchester, with operations centres in Almondsbury, Bristol and Paddington, West London.
In March 2012, Co-op Legal Services became one of the first three organisations and the first major consumer brand to receive approval from the Solicitors Regulation Authority to become an "alternative business structure", allowing it to offer a range of legal services which were previously only allowed to be offered by solicitor's firms.
The writing of wills, probate and estate administration are all undertaken by Co-operative Legal Services Ltd, a subsidiary of The Co-operative Group Limited, trading as Co-op Legal Services. Members of The Co-operative Group are entitled to earn dividend on wills and conveyancing and qualify for advice on many other aspects of the law free of charge. Personal injury or probate does not qualify for a share in the profits.
Co-op Legal Services is headquartered in Manchester and has its main operations facility in Almondsbury Bristol, where it employs around 500 staff and a further office in Paddington, West London with 40 staff.
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Personal Injury Claim Handling
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Will Writing and Guidance
- "Register of licensed bodies (ABS): Co-operative Legal Services Limited". Solicitors Regulation Authority. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "Wait for ABSs is over: Tesco law is here". The Guardian. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Registered in England and Wales under the Companies Act 1985, No. 5671209
- "Co-op Legal Services first to launch as an ABS". The Lawyer. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- John Hyde (28 March 2012). "ABS trailblazers revealed". Law Society Gazette. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "Co-op to hire 3,000 lawyers in challenge to high street solicitors". The Guardian. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op to create 3,000 new legal jobs across England". BBC News. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op pledges "no nasty surprises" as it launches fixed-fee family law operation". The Lawyer. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Registered in England and Wales under the Companies Act 1985, No. 6323818
- The Co-operative Membership Co-op Legal Services (retrieved 20 August 2009)
- "Home". Co-operative Legal Services. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Alternative agenda". Law Society Gazette. 15 February 2007. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op capture of legal aid experts could be 'Wapping moment' for family law". The Guardian. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2012.