|Address||403 Warren Barrett Drive|
|Location||Hannibal, Missouri, United States|
|Coordinates||39°42′18″N 91°21′35″W / 39.70500°N 91.35972°WCoordinates: 39°42′18″N 91°21′35″W / 39.70500°N 91.35972°W|
|Owner||City of Hannibal|
|Operator||Clemens Field Management|
|Field size||(LF-CF-RF): 328-303-308|
$100,000 ($40,0000 Works Project Administration grant)|
$3.3 Million renovation in 2008
Hannibal Pilots (1947–48)
Mississippi–Ohio Valley League
Hannibal Stags (1952)
Hannibal Cardinals (1953–1954)
Hannibal Citizens (1955)
Hannibal Cavemen (2009-present)
Clemens Field is a baseball stadium located at the south end of downtown Hannibal, Missouri, United States.
The stadium was named for author Samuel Clemens (who wrote under the name Mark Twain), a Hannibal resident. Built in 1938 to replace the first field that was destroyed by fire, Clemens Field has served as a site for minor league baseball teams. The ballpark underwent extensive renovations in 2008, and is currently used by the Hannibal Cavemen of the collegiate summer Prospect League.
Clemens Field is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
First erected in 1924, the original Clemens Field facility was destroyed by fire on August 14, 1936. The replacement stadium was built as a Works Project Administration project in 1936-38. The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The park has a limestone wall around the entire perimeter and a grandstand behind home plate. The same plans were used for Carson Park, a ballpark in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, which is also on the National Register.
Clemens Field tenants include the Hannibal Citizens (1955); Hannibal Cardinals (1953–1954); Hannibal Stags (1952) and Hannibal Pilots (1947–48) of the Mississippi–Ohio Valley League (1952–1955) and Central Association (1947–1948), the two leagues that simply changed names and were the direct predecessors of the Midwest League. Hannibal teams were affiliates of the St. Louis Cardinals (1953–1954) and St. Louis Browns (1947).
Clemens Field was used infrequently after minor league baseball left Hannibal in 1955. In 2008, Clemens Field received a major renovation that preserved the original grandstand and brick wall perimeter, added 2,500 seats and modern amenities.
On June 10, 2008 a ceremony was held and renovations began on the ballpark. In the fall of 2007, Hannibal Baseball LLC worked with the City of Hannibal to bring a collegiate league team to Hannibal, targeting Clemens Field for renovations in the process. The 2007 Board of Directors for the upcoming Hannibal team and renovations included Arizona Diamondbacks GM Roland Hemond, St. Louis Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty, Philadelphia Phillies executive Lee Thomas, former Cardinals player and manager Red Schoendienst, and former Kansas City Royals player Frank White. The project was completed and the Hannibal Cavemen of the Prospect League began play in 2009.
In 2016, a new gate added for entrance to the ballpark. Called the Jake Beckley .308 Gate, the gate was named after the Baseball Hall of Fame early baseball player, Jake Beckley, who was a Hannibal player and native. The grandstand roof was also replaced for the 2016 season.
- "Clemens Field". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Hannibal Courier Post, March 4, 2010, "Clemens Field renovation project honored," Henly, Danny