Claremont railway station, Perth
Southbound view in July 2005
Gugeri Street, Claremont|
|Coordinates||31°58′51″S 115°46′53″E / 31.980706°S 115.781415°ECoordinates: 31°58′51″S 115°46′53″E / 31.980706°S 115.781415°E|
|Owned by||Public Transport Authority|
|Distance||9.3 kilometres from Perth|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
99281 (platform 1)
99282 (platform 2)
|Previous names||Butlers Swamp|
Claremont station opened in 1881 as Butlers Swamp, being renamed Claremont in 1883. It is the only station on the Fremantle line to retain its original buildings, and is thus its 1886 buildings are the oldest railway station buildings in Perth. It was the only station on the line to be built with a crossing loop.
With the relocation of the Royal Perth Show to the Claremont Showgrounds in 1905, a third platform was added with the station serving the show until Showgrounds station opened in 1954. The station closed on 1 September 1979 along with the rest of the Fremantle line, re-opening on 29 July 1983 when services were restored. The station building was restored at the same time. When the line was electrified in 1991, the station was cut back to one island platform.
After the Town of Claremont's Council Chambers were gutted by fire in 2010, it relocated its administration to the former station master's building. The former goods shed is to be converted into a cultural centre and cafe.
Claremont station is located in the middle of Claremont. The railway's right-of-way lies between two arterial roads: Shenton Road and Gugeri Street. There are three access points to the station from each street. At the western and eastern ends of the island platform are grade level track crossings through electrically activated gates. In the centre of the platform the original pedestrian bridge provides access by stairs to the platform and to the elevated signal box.
|99281||1||Fremantle||All stations, A, S||Perth|
|99282||2||Fremantle||All stations, B||Fremantle|
|Stop||Route||Destination / description||Notes|
| Gugeri Street (east bound)||27, 28||Terminating|
|102, 107||to Elizabeth Quay bus station via Stirling Highway|
|906||Rail replacement service to Perth station|
| Gugeri Street (west bound)||23||to Elizabeth Quay bus station via Dalkeith & Mounts Bay Road|
|24||to East Perth via Dalkeith & Shenton Park|
|25||to East Perth via Nedlands, Shenton Park & Subiaco|
|27||to East Perth via Swanbourne & Mount Claremont|
|28||to Perth Busport via Mount Claremont & Floreat|
|102||to Cottesloe station via Marine Parade|
|107||to Fremantle station via Peppermint Grove|
|906||Rail replacement service to Fremantle station|
|Bus stop situated in Zone 2|
- A History of Claremont Station Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin issue 599 September 1987 pp195–216
- Claremont Railway Station Heritage Council of Western Australia
- History of Stations on the Fremantle Line Right Track
- Minchin, RS; Higham, GJ (1981). Robb's Railway Fremantle to Guildford Railway Centenary. Bassendean: Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 23. ISBN 0 9599690 2 0.
- Our History Public Transport Authority
- Claremont Station Master's House Rescue 2013 Western Australian Heritage Awards
- From rail cargo to art gallery: Old Claremont shed to be transformed into cultural space ABC News 6 November 2015
- Claremont Station Layout Transperth
- Fremantle Line Timetable Transperth 31 January 2016
- Understanding Australia's urban railways Bureau of Infrastructure Transport & Regional Economics July 2012 page 12
- "Route 27". Bus Timetable 33 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 28". Bus Timetable 33 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 102". Bus Timetable 31 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 107". Bus Timetable 31 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 23". Bus Timetable 44 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 24". Bus Timetable 44 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- "Route 25". Bus Timetable 44 (PDF). Transperth. n.d. [effective from 9 October 2016].
- Media related to Claremont railway station, Perth at Wikimedia Commons
- Gallery History of Western Australia Railways & Stations
|Preceding station||Transperth Trains network||Following station|