Church of the Holy Agony (New York City)
|The Church of the Holy Agony|
Community House and Rectory
|Town or city||Manhattan, New York|
|Country||United States of America|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Robert J. Reiley of 45 West 45th Street|
The Church of the Holy Agony is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1834 Third Avenue and 101st Street, in the East Harlem section of Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1930 as a mission of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. The parish is staffed by the Vincentian Fathers.
In November 2014, the Archdiocese announced that the Church of the Holy Agony was one of 31 neighborhood parishes which would be merged into other parishes. Holy Agony was to be merged into the Church of St. Cecilia at 125 East 105th Street.
A church and rectory at 1828-1834 Third Avenue was built in 1952 to the designs of architect Robert J. Reiley of 45 West 45th Street for $250,000.
- Office for Metropolitan History, "Manhattan NB Database 1900-1986," (Accessed 25 Dec 2010).
- NYC Organ Website (accessed 5 February 2011)
- Otterman, Sharon. "Tears and Heartache for New York’s Catholics as Cardinal Shuts Churches" New York Times (November 2, 2014)
- "List of Merging Churches and Those That Will Cease Regular Services" New York Times (November 2, 2014)
- Harlem One Stop: Mass Times and photo
- Catholic Churches of Manhattan Blog with description and photos
- Parish directory