Chugai Pharmaceutical Co.
Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower, Nihonbashi Muromachi 2-1-1, Chūō, Tokyo
|Osamu Nagayama, Chairman and CEO|
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (中外製薬株式会社 Chūgai Seiyaku Kabushikigaisha) is a subsidiary drug manufacturer operating in Japan controlled by Hoffmann–La Roche, which owns 62% of the company as of 30 June 2014. Previous to Roche's takeover in 2002, Chugai was a pioneering discoverer of many important pharmaceutical compounds. The company is headquartered in Tokyo. Osamu Nagayama is the current representative director, chairman, and CEO. Tatsuro Kosaka is the current representative director, president, and COO.
- 1961 developed patents for synthesis of vitamin A
- 1995 acute promyelocytic sphere of drug treatment leukemia Vesanoid was released.
- 1996 anti-viral chemotherapeutic agent Hivid released (HIV reverse transcriptase inhibitor)
- 1997 – HIV protease inhibitor Invirase released
- 1999 – immunosuppressive agent Cellcept released
- 2000 – Release of an antiemetic drug Kytril, developed to combat the side effects of chemotherapy
- 2001 – Produced an anti-influenza virus Tamiflu (Roche)
- 2015 – In March the company announced it would co-commercialise Athersys's stem cell therapy for ischemic strokes in Japan. The deal could yield upwards of US$205 million.
Other notable developments
Scientists at Chugai discovered an erythromycin-derived motilin agonist called Mitemcinal (aka GM-611 or 3'-N-dimethyl-11-deoxy-3'-N-isopropyl-12-O-methyl-11-oxo-8,9-didehydroerythromycin.) Mitemcinal was believed to have strong prokinetic properties, similar to its parent molecule, but lack antibiotic properties. Presently, erythromycin is commonly used off-label for gastric motility indications such as Gastroparesis. If Mitemcinal can be shown to be as effective a prokinetic agent, it would represent a significant advance in the GI field as treatment with this drug would not carry the risk of unintentional selection of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chugai Pharmaceutical.|
- English version of company homepage: Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- The transfer of operations of the Company
- Cortez, Michelle Fay; Matsuyama, Kanoko (25 August 2014). "Roche Said to Have Decided Against Bid for Rest of Chugai". Bloomberg.
- Staff (2 March 2015). "Chugai to Co-Develop Athersys' Cell Therapy in Japan in Up-to-$205M Partnership". Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (Paper, Vol 35, i 7, p. 12). Retrieved 2016-06-11.