Christian Democratic National Peasants' Party
Bd. Carol I, nr. 24|
|European affiliation||European People's Party|
|International affiliation||Centrist Democrat International|
|European Parliament group||No MEPs|
|Colours||Green and Blue|
|Seats in the Senate||
1 / 176
|Seats in the Chamber of Deputies||
1 / 412
|Seats in the European Parliament||
0 / 33
3 / 3,186
0 / 1,434
|Local Council Councilors||
137 / 40,067
The Christian Democratic National Peasants' Party (Romanian: Partidul Național Țărănesc Creștin Democrat, PNȚ-CD) is a Christian democratic and agrarian political party in Romania. It claims to be the successor of the National Peasants' Party (created from the merger of the Romanian National Party from Transylvania and Peasants' Party). The party is a member of the European People's Party (EPP).
The party was founded by Corneliu Coposu, Ioan Alexandru and Ion Rațiu in December 1989 and was the first officially registered political party after the fall of Communism.
In March 2005, the PNȚ-CD voted to change its name to the Christian Democratic People's Party (Partidul Popular Creștin-Democrat, PPCD) after the unification with Union for Romanian Reconstruction. Nowadays, the party has returned to its original name PNȚ-CD.
The party is currently split between a wing sustained by Marian-Petre Miluț supporting Aurelian Pavelescu as president, that decided on an alliance with the governing Democratic Liberal Party, and one supporting Victor Ciorbea as president, and favouring an alliance with the National Liberal Party.
Victor Ciorbea was elected on June 18, 2011 president of the party. In September 2011 the Bucharest Courthouse (responsible for the parties registry) recognised Victor Ciorbea as party president.
However, the split continued until Ciorbea left the party, in October 2012, in order to become a senator on National Liberal Party's lists. Pavelescu was recognized as president and the fractions were dissolved. PNȚCD formed with PDL and Civic Force, Right Romania Alliance (ARD). In the general elections of 2012, PNȚCD gained one senator and one deputy. On April 23, 2013, Pavelescu was elected president of the party.
Its motto as of 2006 is Fiecare contează (Everyone counts). At the 2014 European elections PNȚCD motto was Renaștem pentru România ta! (Reborn for your Romania!)
Presidents of the party
- Corneliu Coposu (1990–95)
- Ion Diaconescu (1995–2001)
- Constantin Dudu Ionescu (2001)
- Andrei Marga (2002)
- Victor Ciorbea (2002–04)
- Gheorghe Ciuhandu (2004–07)
- Marian Petre Miluț (2007–11)
- Aurelian Pavelescu (2011–present)
- Nordsieck, Wolfram, "Romania", Parties and Elections In Europe, retrieved 6 November 2012
- Daniele Caramani (2013). The Europeanization of Politics. Cambridge University Press. p. 310. ISBN 978-1-107-11867-6.
- Newsin, Radu Sârbu a fost reales președintele aripii anti-Miluț a PNȚCD. September 26, 2009. Accessed on September 27, 2009
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-04. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- Lavinia Stan, “From Riches to Rags: The Romanian National Christian Democrat Peasant Party,” East European Quarterly, vol. 39, no. 2 (Summer 2005), pp. 179–227.
- Official site
- Official site of Cluj County Organization
- News about PNȚCD
- History of PNȚCD
- Past leaders of PNȚCD