Chris Jones (defensive tackle, born 1990)
|No. 93 San Francisco 49ers|
|Birth name:||Christopher Dwightstone Jones|
|Date of birth:||July 12, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Columbus, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|High school:||Brownsburg (IN)|
|College:||Bowling Green State|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 198|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 4, 2016|
Christopher Dwightstone Jones (born July 12, 1990) is an American football defensive end for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He was selected in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL draft by the Houston Texans. He played college football for Bowling Green State University. He has also been a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins.
Jones played for Bowling Green from 2009 to 2012. In 2009, he had 29 total tackles. The following season, he had 39 tackles and 6.0 sacks. He then had 47 tackles and 8.5 sacks in 2011 and was named to the All-Mid-American Conference (MAC) first team. In 2012, Jones had 42 tackles, and he ranked third in the nation with 12.5 sacks. He was the MAC defensive player of the year and was named to the All-MAC first team again.
2013 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 in||302 lb||32 3⁄4 in||9 in||5.25 s||1.87 s||2.99 s||4.44 s||7.34 s||31 in||8 ft 9 in||30 reps|
|Vertical jump and broad jump values are from the Bowling Green Pro Day; all other values are from the NFL Scouting Combine.|
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jones was claimed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after his release from the Houston Texans on September 1, 2013 and was inactive for the Tampa Bay’s season opener against the New York Jets. He was released by the Buccaneers on September 10, 2013.
New England Patriots
After the Buccaneers waived Jones, the New England Patriots claimed him off waivers. Jones recorded his first career sack against the Cincinnati Bengals on October 6, 2013. On October 20, during overtime of the Patriots' Week 7 game against the New York Jets, Jones was called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct call on a Nick Folk missed 56-yard field goal that would have given the Patriots the ball around midfield. The call was for violating a rule, altered that season, prohibiting pushing a teammate into the opponent's formation (it was the first time that call had been made). Folk went on to hit a 42-yard field goal that gave the Jets the win, in a game where Jones also recorded two sacks.
Against the NY Jets Jones blocked Nick Folk's attempted field goal, securing the victory for the Patriots. The feat also earned him AFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for Week 7 of the 2014 NFL season. He finished the season with three sacks and 15 tackles.
Jones and the Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX over the defending champion Seattle Seahawks, Jones allegedly played the game with a torn calf. Jones calf injury caused him to miss the entire 2015 NFL season.
On April 18, 2016, Jones was claimed off waivers by the Miami Dolphins. He was released by the Dolphins as part of final roster cuts but re-signed with the team on September 14, 2016. He played in seven games, starting none, with no sacks and four tackles. He was released by the Dolphins on November 7, 2016.
San Francisco 49ers
- "Chris Jones". bgsufalcons.com. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Chris Jones". NFL Draft Scout. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "Chris Jones: Combine player profile". NFL. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Daley, Matt (April 27, 2013). "BGSU's Chris Jones Selected By Houston". Hustle Belt. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- "Patriots claim DT Chris Jones off waivers from Tampa Bay; Released OL Josh Kline".
- "Jets stun Patriots on Nick Folk's controversial FG in overtime". Associated Press. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Patriots release DL Chris Jones and DL Ishmaa'ily Kitchen". Patriots.com. April 15, 2016. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Dragon, Tyler (April 18, 2016). "Miami Dolphins claim DT Chris Jones off waivers". NFL.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Dolphins re-sign DT Chris Jones, waive QB Brandon Doughty".
- "Dolphins Make Roster Moves". MiamiDolphins.com. November 7, 2016.
- "49ers Place Arik Armstead on Injured Reserve, Claim DT Chris Jones". 49ers.com. November 8, 2016.
- "Brownsburg's Chris Jones fills gap for Patriots". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2015-11-15.