Location of Chiniot in Pakistan
|Coordinates: PK 31°43′12″N 72°58′44″E / 31.7200°N 72.9789°ECoordinates: PK 31°43′12″N 72°58′44″E / 31.7200°N 72.9789°E|
|• City Council|
|Elevation||179 m (587 ft)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC+6)|
Chiniot (Urdu: چِنيوٹ; Punjabi: چنیوٹ,ਚਨਿਓਟ) is a city and the administrative headquarter of Chiniot District in the state of Punjab, Pakistan. Located at the bank of the river Chenab, it is known for its intricate wooden furniture and for its architecture.
Chiniot city lies on left bank of the Chenab River amidst small rocky hills. It is located at the intersection of the Faisalabad-Sargodha and Lahore-Jhang roads. It is 158 kilometres north-west from Lahore and 38 kilometres north of Faisalabad. Chiniot city is spread over an area of 10 square kilometers with an average elevation of 179 meters (587 ft). Rabwah city, the headquarters of the Ahmadiyya Community is located on the other side of the Chenab River. In the center of river a worship center (or Chilla Gah) of the Sufi Bu Ali Shah Qalandar is located.
The weather in Chiniot is variable.
|Climate data for Chiniot (1961-1990)|
|Average high °C (°F)|| 19
|Average low °C (°F)|| 8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)|| 18
|Source: My Weather|
According to 1998 census, the population of Chiniot was 9,65,124 (included urban 1,72,522). According to 2010 estimated census, urban population of Chiniot is 2,01,781. Languages spoken in Chiniot are Punjabi. Literacy of Chiniot is about 65%.
The important products of Chiniot includes silk, cotton, wheat, sugar, rice, milk, pottery, and wooden-furniture etc.
The education and literacy rate of Chiniot is unknown at the moment.
Educational institutions in Chiniot include Masoomeen Foundation High School Chiniot, Allama Iqbal Model School Chiniot, Din College,Chenab College,Chiniot and a newly created campus of National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences(NUCES) Islamia College Chiniot. http://www.ilm.edu.pkilm group of colleges chiniot.
Chiniot government has given library facilities to its residents, especially for students. After his death, Sheikh Omar Hayat's palace Omar Hayat Mahal was converted into a library by the government of Pakistan.
Transport and communication
Chiniot is very well-connected with rest of Pakistan by a main highway and a rail line. The nearest international airport is Faisalabad International Airport, which is 48.5 kilometres from Chiniot. Chiniot has a railway track passing from it since 1927 for the easiest and cheapest way of transportation. Chiniot railway is a main source of transporting the furniture from Chiniot to the rest of Pakistan. And it is a main source of importing the woods for furniture from all over the Pakistan. Chiniot Railway Station was built in 1927 during British empire was a great step for the help in economy of Chiniot. Khatm-e-Nabuwat Chowk is the main place of and main intersection between GT roads connecting large cities of Pakistan. Chiniot Bridge is crossing over Chenab river on the Chiniot-Sargodha road.
In Chiniot people celebrate Islamic occasions with great arrangements. As on 12 Rabi' al-awwal, 1440th birthday celebration of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad, people of Chiniot arranged 63-maund cake, one of the largest cakes in the world.
Chiniot is world-famous for its furniture. Chinioti craftsmen and artisans have for centuries carved flowers and geometric pattrens onto cellulose fibres. Masons from Chiniot are thought to have been employed during the construction of Taj Mahal and Golden Temple, both now in India.
Cricket is the most popular sport in Chiniot. Football is also played in Chiniot. Other popular sports in Chiniot includes Hockey, Volleyball, Basketball, Badminton, Tennis, Kabbadi, and Horse racing.
Notable people of Chiniot are:
- Aftab Ahmed Vohra, a notable and successful businessman of Pakistan, Founding Chairman of the Pak India Trade Promotion committee, Former Vice President of The Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Mian Muhammad Mansha, third richest person in Pakistan, owner of the MCB Bank Limited and Nishat Group.
- Mian Habib Ullah, Ex Minister, President of FPCCI, Ambassador to Cyprus
- Sheikh Omar Hayat, owner of Omar Hayat Mahal
- Qaiser Ahmed Sheikh, politician and Ex Chairman of chamber of commerce karachi
- Nasir Chinyoti, a famous stage drama comedy actor
- Saqlain Anwar Sipra, politician in Bhawana
- Syed Inayat Ali Shah, politician (MNA)
- Muhammad Masood Lali, politician (MPA)
- Maulana Ilyas Chinioti, politic ian (MPA)
- Wazir Khan, a court physician in Mughal Empire, famous for the Wazir Khan Mosque, Lahore.
- Sami Vohra , a IT Professional - famous for Silicon Valley Technologies
- Arabic calligraphy in Wazir Masjid
- http://population.mongabay.com/population/pakistan/1181096/chiniot Urban population according to 2010 GEOnames
- "Climate chart of Chiniot". My Weather. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Climatological Information for Chiniot", My Weather, web: My Weather.
- KIMS College chiniot,Din-College-Chiniot-2-Km-Lahore-Road-Chiniot "Din College in Chiniot" Check
|url=value (help). University of the Punjab. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "FAST-NU - Campus". www.nu.edu.pk. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Celebration of 12 Rabi' al-awwal and in Aashora-e-Muharram, there are many Imam Barghas were regularly conducting Aashora Majalis in the respect of Shahadat e Imam-e-Hussain(A.S). Sunni and Shia Brothers are regularly participating in this occasion. They construct eight numbers of Tazia's in the honour of Hazrat Imam Hussain (alaha salam) which are very beautiful and unique". Dunya News. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2011.