Chinasat is a family of communications satellites operated by the China Direct Broadcast Satellite Company. The series was previously operated by the China Satellite Communications Corporation, and before that the China Telecommunications Broadcast Satellite Corporation, which was owned by China's Ministry of Post and Telecommunications.
Satellites formerly operated by the Sino Satellite Communications Company and the China Orient Telecommunications Satellite Company were renamed with Chinasat designations following their mergers with the China Satellite Communications Corporation to form China DBSAT. ChinaStar 1 became Chinasat 5A, Sinosat-1 became Chinasat 5B, and Sinosat-3 became Chinasat 5C.
The Chinasat 6B satellite was manufactured by Thales Alenia Space. It has 38 transponders, and is being used for TV transmissions and shortwave jamming across China, Southeast Asia, the Pacific and Oceania. It has a planned useful life of 15 years. Thales Alenia Space built the satellite with no components from the United States whatsoever. This allowed it to be launched on a Chinese launch vehicle without violating U.S. ITAR restrictions. The launch, on a Long March 3B rocket, was successfully conducted on 5 July 2007. The broadcast used for some shortwave radio jamming purposes in China is carried on one of the Chinasat 6B transponders.
- "Overview". Corporate Profile. China DBSAT. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "Zhongxing / Chinasat". Federation of American Scientists.
- "中星5A". China DBSAT. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "中星5B". China DBSAT. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "中星5C". China DBSAT. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "China launches French-made communications satellite". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 5 July 2007.
- de Selding, Peter B. (2007-07-06). "China launches satellite despite restrictions". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Firedrake - The source of China's Radio Jammer found on Chinasat 6B". Satdirectory the free-to-air satellite directory.
- "China launches French-built satellite". Xinhua News Agency. 2008-06-09.
- "Long March 3B rocket launches Chinasat-9 satellite". Mister-Info.com.