China Gate (1998 film)
|Directed by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Produced by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Edited by||V.N. Mayekar|
China Gate is a 1998 Bollywood film directed by Rajkumar Santoshi. It is a "humble tribute to the late Akira Kurosawa", crediting Seven Samurai (1954) as its inspiration and starred Samir Soni in his film debut.
The film is famous for the song "Chamma Chamma", sung by Alka Yagnik, composed by Anu Malik, and featuring Urmila Matondkar dancing to it. The song was subsequently used in Baz Luhrmann's Hollywood musical film, Moulin Rouge! (2001). The role played by Mukesh Tiwari as cruel Jageera was well appreciated.
The story begins with Col. Krishnakant and his ten men who were sacked from the Indian army as they failed in the China Gate mission. After witnessing the brutal slaying of her Forest Officer father, Sunder Rajan, at the hands of dreaded dacoit Jageera, Sandhya goes to Col. and asks for his assistance in bringing an end to Jageera's rule in the Devdurg region. Krishnakant agrees to assist her and summons ten of his fellow officers and subordinates to assist him in this mission. They assemble at Devdurg with the necessary ammunitions and arms to combat Jageera, not realizing that Jageera has influence over the local police detachment, who will prevent Krishnakant and his men to possess any guns and weapons. This does not deter the men, and they continue to stay on in Devdurg and gain the confidence of the villagers. What the villagers do not know that Krishnakant and his men had all been dishonorably discharged from the army for cowardice and retreating when attacked by the enemy.
- Samir Soni .... Udit "Uditanshu" Tandon
- Om Puri .... Col. Krishnakanth Puri
- Amrish Puri .... Col. Keval Krishan Puri
- Naseeruddin Shah .... Major Sarfaraz Khan
- Danny Denzongpa .... Major Ranjir Singh Gurung
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda .... Major Kulbhushan Gupta
- Tinu Anand .... Major B'John
- Viju Khote .... Ghanshyam
- Jagdeep .... Subedar Ramaiyah
- Mamta Kulkarni ....Sandhya Rajan
- Mukesh Tiwari .... Jageera
- Paresh Rawal .... Inspector Barot
- Ila Arun .... Gopinath's wife
- Shivaji Satam .... Gopinath (Village Sarpanch)
- Anjan Srivastav .... Pandey/DK
- Razak Khan .... Sadhuram (Villager)
- Anupam Kher .... Senior Army Official / Governor (Special Appearance)
- Urmila Matondkar .... Special Appearance in song "Chamma Chamma"
- Girish Karnad .... Rajan (Sandhya's Dad)
- Rahul Singh
|1||"Hum Ko To Rahna Hai Ek Duje Ke Sath"||Sonu Nigam, Hariharan, Vinod Rathod|
|2||"Chhama Chhama (2)"||Anu Malik,Sapna Awasthi|
|3||"Chhama Chhama Re Chhama"||Vinod Rathod, Shankar Mahadevan, Alka Yagnik|
|4||"Is Mitti Ka Karz Tha Mujhpe Maine Apna Karz Chukaya"||Sonu Nigam|
The film was received moderately by critics and people. In terms of collections, China Gate was declared an average grosser at the box office. However, it did a good business in Rajasthan.