Chigwell Urban District
Chigwell within Essex in 1961
|• 1933-1965||8,971 acres (36.30 km2)|
|• 1965-1974||8,890 acres (36.0 km2)|
|• Succeeded by||
Epping Forest District|
London Borough of Redbridge
Non Progredi est Regredi|
(Not to go forward is to go backward)
Coat of arms of Chigwell Urban District Council
- Buckhurst Hill Urban District (874 acres)
- Loughton Urban District (3,962 acres)
- Chigwell civil parish only, from Epping Rural District (4,135 acres)
The district lay on the edge of the Greater London Conurbation and experienced a rapid population growth, in part caused by London County Council out-county construction at Loughton, the Urban District's headquarters, and also in the south east of the district of the Hainault Estate (which also extended into neighbouring Ilford and Dagenham). Extensive council house building by the Chigwell Urban District itself took place between Buckhurst Hill and Loughton.
In 1948, the New Works Programme of the London Passenger Transport Board brought the London Underground services of the Central line to six stations in the district; namely Roding Valley, Chigwell, Grange Hill, Buckhurst Hill, Loughton and Debden. The large LT Hainault depot was also mostly in the U.D.
Coat of arms
The Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London considered the entire district for inclusion in Greater London, however after strong local resistance, only a small area of 81 acres (330,000 m2) around Hainault was transferred from the urban district and Essex to form part of the London Borough of Redbridge in Greater London in 1965. The population of this area in 1961 was 7,071.