|No. 40, 29, 28|
|Date of birth:||February 19, 1978|
|Place of birth:||Los Angeles, California|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||189 lb (86 kg)|
|High school:||Pasadena (CA)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Chidi Iwuoma (born February 19, 1978) is a former American football cornerback who is currently a scout for BLESTO. He was signed by the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2001. He played college football at California.
Iwuoma's parents were Nigerian immigrants. Chidi Iwuoma attended Pasadena High School in Pasadena, California. He then attended the University of California, Berkeley where he played football. At California, Iwuoma returned kicks and punts while also playing cornerback.
Chidi Iwuoma is a member of Iota Phi Theta fraternity.
Iwuoma primarily played on special teams while with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He earned a Super Bowl ring with the Steelers following the 2005 season. Iwuoma was elected the special teams co-captain for two consecutive seasons. In 2006, he underwent shoulder surgery but returned in time for pre-season camp. During the pre-season he suffered a concussion and was released on September 6.
New England Patriots
Iwuoma signed with the New England Patriots on October 4, 2006. He was released on October 31.
St. Louis Rams
A few weeks after his release from the Patriots, Iwuoma signed with the St. Louis Rams on November 14. He was released again on November 28.
Return to Pittsburgh
On December 5, 2006, with four games remaining in the season, the Steelers re-signed Iwuoma. Iwuoma ended his 2006 season with the Steelers but dislocated his wrist. He was re-signed on March 16, 2007 as an unrestricted free agent. The Steelers waived Iwuoma as a final cut on September 2.
After professional career
Iwuoma worked with the University of California's Athletic Study Center from 2009-2012, where he served as Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Development. In May 2013 he joined the Steelers as their designated BLESTO scout.
- "Chidi Iwuoma". NFL. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Chidi Iwuoma". Cal Golden Bears. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- Green, Jared (September 1, 2000). "Stepping out of the shadows, into the spotlight". The Berkeley Daily Planet. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 23, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Steelers Re-Sign Chidi Iwuoma". WPXI.com. March 16, 2007. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Steelers sign St. Pierre, cut Iwuoma". The Pittsburgh Tribune. September 7, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Patriots sign veteran free agent CB Chidi Iwuoma; Sign first-year OT Sean Bubin to practice squad". Patriots.com. October 4, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Patriots release CB Chidi Iwuoma and C Brian Barthelmes". Patriots.com. October 31, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Panthers' Foster suffers elbow injury". USA Today. October 20, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Transactions". New York Times. November 29, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- Bouchette, Ed (December 5, 2006). "Steelers release Staley; add Mays, Iwuoma to roster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Steelers place Brown, Iwuoma on injured reserve list". Pittsburgh Tribune. December 20, 2006. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- Dulac, Gerry (September 2, 2007). "Haynes, Okobi top list of cuts". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Titans sign former Steelers DB Iwuoma". Pittsburgh Tribune. Associated Press. December 20, 2007. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- Ketchman, Vic (February 25, 2008). "This year's free-agent bargains". Jaguars.com. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Steelers Hire Chidi Iwuoma as BLESTO Scout". Steelers News. Steelers.com. Retrieved 10 June 2013.