Type of site
|Slogan(s)||Where Chicago blogs.|
|Alexa rank||17,834 (as of May 2013)|
ChicagoNow is a blogging site managed by tronc, Inc., owner of the print Chicago Tribune newspaper. It features a network of blogs of mainly local interest on a variety of topics ranging from crime to public schools to local politics.
ChicagoNow was launched in August 2009. Its launch coincided with the Tribune company's bankruptcy. As a newspaper-run blogging community, with the initial tagline "a blog by and for locals", it represented what one observer called "a new value proposition for newspapers".
The website of the Tribune daily RedEye, which later moved to its own domain, was initially hosted on ChicagoNow.
In September 2010, Time Out Chicago criticized ChicagoNow for hosting an unidentified police officer in what they called "a hate-filled, racist rant by blogger Joe the Cop, entitled The ghetto shooting template, for three days and counting now." ChicagoNow removed the posts in question, stating that while they don't edit posts, they reserve the right to remove them.
- "Chicagonow.com ranking". Alexa. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Rao, Leena (April 24, 2010). "The Tribune Company Finds An Audience For Homegrown Hyperlocal News Site ChicagoNow". TechCrunch. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "About | Chicago Muckrakers". ChicagoNow. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "About Shimer Prez". ChicagoNow. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "About ChicagoNow". ChicagoNow. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Tribune Media Group, "Reach and Engage Chicago's Blogging Community" Archived January 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Rachel Davis Mersey (2010). Can Journalism be Saved?: Rediscovering America's Appetite for News. pp. 73–74. ISBN 0313392080.
- "Welcome to ChicagoNow 2.0". ChicagoNow. June 29, 2011. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "RedEye | ChicagoNow". Archived from the original on 2009-12-18.
- Jaffe, Alexandra (April 26, 2010). "ChicagoNow offers hope for hyperlocal news sites". World Editors Forum. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- Sennett, Frank (September 23, 2010). "Trib's ChicagoNow hosts cop's racist rant three days and counting". Time Out Chicago. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Why we removed 2 Arresting Tales posts". ChicagoNow Staff Blog. September 23, 2010. Retrieved February 25, 2012.